Day 3-The Golden Circle

“Golden Circle” tour day (Geology, hydrology, geothermal energy)

Today we embarked on the Golden Circle EXTREME tour adventure. After we strapped on our fanny packs, grabbed our cameras and zinced our noses we were officially ready for the ultimate Iceland tourist day. While I was fully prepared to slog through the countryside, boulder basalt columns, and scale the alpine peaks, I think several of my fellow classmates were happy to endure a bumpy bus ride after a night of wild Reykavik tavern exploring. Matt helped pass the time between stops by singing cheerful tunes in the back a capella style with Jason and Tony. It sure was a delight to hear!

Throughout the journey we encountered four incredible natural Icelandic wonders:

1. Þingvellir (“Thingvellir”) – a rift valley at the crest of the mid-Atlantic ridge, and site of historical, geological and cultural importance
  2. Gullfoss – “Golden Falls,” a spectacular waterfall significant as the foucs of a major environmental debate in the late 20th century
  3. Geysir – the first geyser known to modern Europeans
  4. Kerið – volcanic crater

B. Þingvellir (Thingvellir)-a rift valley at the crest of the mid-Atlantic ridge, and site of historical, geological and cultural importance
C. Gullfoss-a spectacular waterfall significant as the foucs of a major environmental debate in the late 20th century
D. Geysir-the first geyser known to modern Europeans
E. Kerið (volcanic crater)
F. Reykjavik

I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves…

While the Golden Circle didn’t involve any epic mountain climbs, or crazy river crossings it was a fantastic experience that will be engraved in our memories forever.