First place winner

This piece means a lot to me. When I first started university, I was unsure about a lot. I was unsure about who my friends would be, how I would manage all my classes, where I would fit in, and so much more. In choosing my courses, I decided to take an Italian class in hopes to learn even more about the language and culture that I was born into.

My grandparents all came to Canada at a young age, and have taught us so much about the culture. However, it wasn’t until I took my first class with Elena Caselli, a wonderful professoressa at SFU, that I began to appreciate the language and culture so much more. To learn the language, and about the different lifestyles, the wonderful places I someday hope to visit, I felt as if my mind was exploding with wonder, curiosity, knowledge and beauty. And that is what I hoped to convey in this painting!

The Italian culture is an  ever-growing wonder that continues to fascinate and inspire! I have gained so much through studying the language and culture for the past two years. I have made wonderful friends, I have ability to communicate with my family members all over Italy, I have gained an appreciation for Italian music, and film, literature, and so much more. Through this piece, I hoped to share exactly what my mind feels like. I hope you like it!

First quote by Sophia Loren
Song lyrics by Gino Paoli
Portrait of the girl inspired by actress Alicia Vikander

by Maria De Angelis, SFU Student of Italian