An Insider-Outsider Balance

Having identified the “everyday world as our problematic”, Dorothy Smith, in her book, provides a solid basis for understanding how sociological explorers must learn to scrutinize all social events as a result of their position inside and outside the situation. Central to Smith’s argument is the notion that these positionalities must create a balance between making objective observation and engaging in inquiry. I have realized, over the course of my fieldwork at the Kitsilano Neighbourhood House office, that it is extremely important to maintain my role as an external observer and an internal discerner of culture.

Firstly, as an observer and outsider, I have tried to survey the dynamics of the space with intention and purpose. In order to do this, I have had to reconfigure my mind to constantly remain alert to the new environment I’m in. This has involved developing a sensory consciousness of the space around me: what new images am I seeing; what new sounds am I perceiving; what new smells am I detecting; and most importantly, what new emotions am I feeling? Remaining sensitive to each unfamiliar detail has therefore been an effective way of making and maintaining useful observations of my surroundings.

Secondly, as an inquirer and insider, I have found it necessary to engage myself with the “daily practices of (the) actual individuals” that I am working with (as Smith describes).  So far, I have been able to carry this out by taking the time to converse with my supervisors and other staff members, asking them informally about their backgrounds as well as their roles in Kits House activities. I have also participated in several meetings and events to understand the dynamics of my work environment and the relationship between Kits House and other community partners. My engagement with youth in the Citizen U program that I am involved in has given me a chance to learn about their perspectives on discrimination and racism in a high school environment. Thus, I have used my opportunities within the Kits office to develop rapport with the staff and program participants.

While I have easily been able to identify this insider-outsider dualism, I have not found it an easy task to actually separate the two perspectives while at work. The staff at the Kits House office have been extremely friendly and inclusive – in fact, I feel like I’ve worked with them for a longer period than just three weeks! This has made it easier for me to position myself as an insider and to genuinely enjoy making connections with those around me, while learning about their work ethic. Taking the role of an outsider has been more challenging as it has involved me constantly reminding myself about being sensitive to small details that I otherwise would not pay much attention to.

The staff of Kitsilano Neighbourhood House, having recently encountered a transition in terms of the physical relocation of their work, has had to adjust and re- adapt to their new environment. This change has, to some degree, impacted the means by which programs are organized and community members participate. I have found myself, time and time again, viewing the whole process of relocation as a metaphor for migration, whereby newcomers and immigrants move to a foreign environment and must make use of the resources around them, however limited, to remain productive and successful in society. I have found this metaphor of movement and change a useful and appealing lens through which to examine the internal-external dynamic of positionality in my work place.

Smith, Dorothy E. 1988 The Everyday World as Problematic: A Feminist Sociology. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.