Citizenship and Belonging: The Importance of Connecting to a Community

My first introduction to Neighbourhood Houses came about as a result of signing up for the Immigrant Vancouver Ethnographic Field School (IVEFS). From the South Vancouver Neighbourhood House (SVNH) website, it appeared to me that they provided numerous settlement programs for newcomers to Vancouver and that many of these programs were targeted at skills development. When I read such titles as “leadership” and “diversity programs,” I was sceptical about the actual value of these programs. I have been required to take part in mandatory workshops and classes throughout my various employments and I have found such information to be of limited value and centred on intuitional normative practices – in other words, a waste of time. But, when I actually volunteered for the first time with the Newcomer Leadership Program, my scepticism vanished. I was impressed with the significant benefit that this program was providing for these newcomer youth. My appreciation for the value of the settlement programs continued to grow as I observed the great work that was taking place throughout the various programs I participated in. The youth settlement programs provide youth with social, cultural, symbolic, and human capital, which ultimately allows them to actively participate within Canadian society and thus, gain a sense of belonging.

In the 2008 article, Citizenship and Immigration: Multiculturalism, Assimilation, and Challenges to the Nation-State, Bloemraad, Koerteweg, and Yurdakul define the term citizenship. They define citizenship not only as a legal status with official rights but also as a feeling of belonging whereby participation in society plays an important role. When I examine youth settlement programs offered by SVNH, it is evident that they are supporting immigrant youth to become Canadian citizens by helping them acquire a sense of belonging.

One of the major themes that emerged through my conversations with the program participants is the feeling of isolation experienced by the newly arrived. They do not know anyone and they fear looking stupid when attempting to speak their limited English. This isolation is a huge barrier to youths’ participation in their community and thus, their sense of belonging. Bloemraad and colleagues say learning the host country’s language is important for societal integration. Host-language acquisition enables them to more widely participate within society and thus aides in a sense of belonging.

SVNH is truly the grassroots organization that they claim to be. Through my interviews, I discovered that SVNH listens to what their community says and addresses the needs their community describes. In response to the community, the youth settlement programs focus on creating friendship connections and networks. These connections and networks are important because they combat isolation and create safe environments for youth to improve their English skills.

Another program objective of SVNH, as is evident on their website, is to provide skills such as leadership and personal development. The youth I spoke to confirmed they value the opportunity to develop these skills. They said they participate within the SVNH programs because, most important to them, they help them make friends and learn English. Of secondary importance, they incorporate the skills learned into their everyday lives.

By providing the opportunities for newcomer youth to create connections and friendships, and strengthen their interpersonal skills, SVNH is helping them acquire social, cultural, symbolic, and human capital. SVNH programmers report watching youth evolve and participate within the community as described by ‘B,’ a youth worker:

My supervisor, she has seen these youth as participants in programs, then she’s seen them as volunteers in programs, and then she’s seen them as leading those programs.

As Bloemraad and colleagues say, participation within society is a key factor as to whether one feels accepted as a citizen and this is truly the objective and success of SVNH youth settlement programs.