How Many Hyphens Do You Have?

One of the major inquiries within the social sciences revolves around the question of identity. This idea of what makes us and how we perceive this is constantly at the nexus of the individual and their greater society, as demonstrated by the increasing use of hyphens (ie Chinese- Canadian). This process of becoming ‘Canadian’ for new immigrants is not necessarily an adoption of a single cultural identity, but a multitude of new identities related to the greater perceptions of immigrants within Canada. I have been struggling with some of these labels in my time volunteering at the Culture and Communication Exchange dinner at Little Mountain Neighbourhood house. The dinner itself is aimed at the Spanish speaking population in Vancouver, facilitating English lessons for those of a Latino background. Yet while this linguistic targeting is practical in order to facilitate lessons, I started to question the overarching label of ‘Latino’. While in their original countries, the immigrants and temporary workers at this dinner were categorized by nation (Peruvian, Mexican, Puerto Rican ect). Upon entering Canada, the individuals at this dinner have taken on more than a Canadian identity, but two other loaded labels – those of Latino and immigrant.

Immigrant by itself is a term nestled in a tumultuous web of politics, public opinion, and stereotype. It seems to state: “ Welcome to Canada! Now don’t steal our jobs, learn our language, don’t build massive houses for your entire family, don’t bring over your entire family, feel blessed we brought you here, and ‘integrate’ as quickly as possible. Also don’t cost us any money. Welcome to Canada!”. That has been my biased interpretation in any case. As scholars have pointed out, the term immigrant is often a coded term for ‘person of colour’ and associated with coming from poverty for a ‘better life’ in Canada. That loaded label is a bit much for anyone to take on, especially when you are new to a place. The immigrant label is not the only term being imposed upon newcomers to the country. Regional labels also become apparent, as if by crossing the border in to Canada the individual borders of their ‘countries of origin’ are lost to greater global regional identities (ie Middle Eastern or Latino). These regional identities are a part of the immigrant experience to Canada as it flavours their interaction with Canadians. By putting many nationalities to this greater regional identity, like in the flag above, it seems to erase the tensions and strife between nations and national identities in the region.

It seems strange to say that the woman to my left from Oaxaca (Mexico) is part of the same cultural experience as those from Argentina, Puerto Rico or from Peru. Each of these national identities are taken in to the ‘Latino’ label, much the same way my Irish heritage would be mixed in to the same pan national ‘white’ identity as someone from Texas or Germany. While many embrace these new parts of their identity (becoming Latino Canadian and proud!), it is an additional identity that seems normal in to ask of immigrants in Canadian culture. No one asks Canadians to give up their national identity, yet why is it normal to ask this of immigrants? This multiplication of identity labels for immigrants is something I continue to question at Little Mountain Neighbourhood house, as I get to know these increasingly hyphenated (Latino-Immigrant -Canadian) individuals.

1 thought on “How Many Hyphens Do You Have?

1. Hi Sian,
    I especially liked your reflexive comments that contrast white Canadians with Latinos in your final paragraph. It’s funny to think that at one time, Canadians from Ireland (and other countries/ origins) were considered quite ethnically different from “normal” Canadians. Foner’s discussion of Italians and Jews in New York