Response to – Taylor Swift’s ’1989′ becomes the first platinum album of the year

After reading fellow classmate, Laura Palombi’s blog post, I completely agree that Taylor Swift made a right move of removing her songs from free music streaming software, Spotify.

We all stream music because it is free and convenient, but I never investigated on how artists continue to make money when everyone can get their music for free. I also didn’t understand why they would want to take part of services such as Spotify and Songza when they don’t make any money, but then I realized that these softwares are great platform for artists to get their music out there. However, well-known artists such as Taylor Swift and Beyonce wont need this software to increase their fans since they’re already so popular. Therefore, I think Taylor Swift took a very smart and profitable move by taking off her songs from free-streaming softwares and indirectly forcing her fans to buy her physical CDs.

taylor-swift-1989-album-target

The polaroid picture of her that comes with the CD

It is fantastic that she’s trying to bring physical CDs back by including exclusive freebies that come with the CD. As a consumer, I do think it is worth buying a CD as a collectible only if I’m a huge fan of the artist. So it might not be as wise for a starting up musician to not utilize Spotify to get their music out there.

Source:

Article

image