Link to Task 7: Mode Bending with Sage

When I first looked at Sage’s redesign of the What’s in my Bag? task, I wondered how she would use ASMR to get the point of the assignment across. Once I watched the video, I realized how effective it was! The combination of the whispering and the sounds such as the pop of the cap on the lipstick tube took an assignment that began simply as a photograph and text and made it all about the audio. The soft sounds and quiet speech had me leaning into my laptop so I could hear what was coming next.

In her post, Sage wrote, “Personally, the most challenging element of this redesign process was overcoming the absolute silliness I felt while recording myself whispering about my various items.” I could relate to this as I had never before made a TikTok, but really leaned into the silliness of adding animated stickers to the still parts of the video. In a way, however, it was actually kind of freeing to just play a little bit when we design tasks. Perhaps Sage cracking a smile while whispering or me giving a photo of myself silly animated glasses will make us seem more human and approachable to our students. Who knows?

A couple of things that differed between our redesigns was that Sage’s leaned very heavily into the audio part of the audio-visual medium, whereas mine had a bit more emphasis on the visual. Additionally, using TikTok meant that my video had to be short, so I tried to cram a lot of content into 2 minutes. Sage’s video was posted on YouTube, so she was able to take her time, which I think was an excellent choice as it added to the calm, relaxing nature of the video.

Sage’s ASMR Redesign of Task 7

Thanks for sharing your creativity, Sage. I loved it!