Assignment 2:4 — First contact

Question 3: Lutz makes an assumption about his readers (Lutz, “First Contact” 32). He asks us to begin with the assumption that comprehending the performances of the Indigenous participants is “one of the most obvious difficulties.” He explains that this is so because “one must of necessity enter a world that is distant in time and alien in culture, attempting to perceive indigenous performance through their eyes as well as those of the Europeans.” Here, Lutz is assuming either that his readers belong to the European tradition, or he is assuming that it is more difficult for a European to understand Indigenous performances – than the other way around. What do you make of this reading? Am I being fair when I point to this assumption? If so, is Lutz being fair when he makes this assumption?

I was able to track down a copy of this paper, so I hope it’s alright that I’m choosing to answer this question.

When I first read this passage, I nodded along, since I am someone with very few connections to Indigenous culture. But after reading this question, I realized that it is a strange assumption to make. Indigenous people still exist — why would an author assume they wouldn’t be reading his paper? Or that a non-Indigenous reader wouldn’t be familiar with some of the traditions he might delve into?

I also found it odd to describe Indigenous culture as “alien,” since it is still obviously very much around. It is strange to think that Lutz would not point out the fact that his reader could probably engage with these traditions, or different First Nations cultures’ versions, if they sought them out.

For these reasons I think it’s fair of you to point out the phrasing.

I think some form of Lutz’s assumption is fair, however, since odds are it is a non-Indigenous person reading his work. But I think pointing out the fact that these cultures are very much alive and in some cases undergoing a revitalization (and in others, in need of support) would have gone a long way.

Either way, it is illustrative of the fact that Lutz had a European audience in mind when writing this paper, which is potentially problematic in and of itself. As my first reaction was to barely notice it, I think it is illustrative of how so much media — even media about Indigenous peoples and their traditions — is tailored to European audiences. And since a key part of reconciliation is, of course, having conversations with First Nations instead of at them, it’s a worrying reminder of how many deeply ingrained systems of understanding still need to be broken down.