Monthly Archives: October 2015

Inquiry #4 – Developing Libraries in Developing Nations

Whenever people think about ways to help the people in developing nations, most of the time, the first thought that came to mind would be making a donation to charity organizations which mission is to provide the people in developing nations with necessities such as clean water, food, clothes, medicine, farming animals, etc. Do people think about donating books? Frankly, not that I have heard of till my work on the inquiry topic “Developing World Libraries.” Due to the influence of the commercials being put on broadcasts by the charity organizations, my perception of the people in developing nations is that they are striving to survive with the basic needs of daily life. Books, literacy skills are seemed to be the least essential on the list of needs. However, Hamilton’s (2013) post titled “Stamping out Poverty as Well as Books? How Libraries Can Support Development” has shown me a different perspective on the matter. Hamilton pointed out that people are required to connect and communicate with others in order to improve lives through developing business, or accessing information on health. Hamilton stated the important role of the public libraries in providing public access to internet and technology devices, as well as trained staffs to provide advice. In his post, he had mentioned the IFLA (International Federation of Library Associations, Twitter @IFLA) initiative “Beyond Access.” Beyond Access conferences were held to communicate with donor community regarding the work that the association is doing in developing public libraries in developing countries. This connects to another article that I found and read online, Katz’s “Libraries, Literacy and Technology: A New Training Module for Public Librarians in Developing Countries Targeted at Integrating Libraries into Literacy Programs.”

Katz (2015) also mentioned “Beyond Access”, however, the Beyond Access that he mentioned was managed by the International Research and Exchanges Board (IREX) and was funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. It is believe that teachers in developing nations are lack of skills and resources to foster children’s literacy skills, and librarians (from the public libraries) “can become literacy-resource people who can support struggling teachers.” Therefore, Beyond Access is committed to train and equip “librarians with the basic skills and knowledge to start integrating their institutions into literacy programs.” The training module was done for the first time in Bangladesh in May 2015, and Katz stated that “more information based on the behavioral changes of librarians after the training will be available in several months.” I look forward to the follow up report on the effectiveness of the training module.

After my reading of the above mentioned post and article, I narrowed my research on free or low cost online resources for the public libraries in developing nations, and organizations that provide donations and support in developing libraries in those nations.

Online resources:

1. African Digital Library (ADL): According to Sharma (2009), the ADL was opened on November 1st, 1999. Its mission is to provide African learner with digitalized full text resources. It is free of charge to the residents and institutions of Africa.
  2. Resources for Developing Country Researchers: I came across this PDF format of lists of free or low fee access online resources that provide full-text peer-reviewed literature. I have not check the resources on the list, however, I think the resources are valuable to public libraries.

Organizations:

• Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation: Besides funding the “Beyond Access” initiative, the foundation also has its own work on “Global Libraries”, which aim to provide technologies and training to public libraries in developing countries. Below is a photo of the community information centre in rural Kenya retrieved from the website. GL_InternetAccessKenya_450x300
  • Worldreader: The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation provides grant to Worldreader, which is a literacy organization that is piloting the use of mobile devices, such as smartphones, and Kindles in public and community libraries in Kenya. The below video is on the homepage of the Worldreader website, it is a powerful testimony of a woman who was illiterate, but benefit from the pilot program and now becomes a committed literacy teacher.

• Book Aid International: I enjoy reading the blog of this organization. They definitely have done a lot in developing libraries in developing nations. The organization also trains librarians as well, please check out this post: http://www.bookaid.org/librarian-training-in-cameroon/
  • Books for Africa: I have not explore this website or inquire additional information on this organization. However, one thing that caught my attention on this website is the option of making online donation. You could choose to donate to a particular project, donate a book, or even donate a computer!

In conclusion, through my inquiry, I have learned that as the use of mobile devices becomes widely use in education, books donation becomes a secondary options. Training librarians and donating mobile devices become the focus on building public libraries in developing nations. However, as Sharma (2009) had pointed out, the one barrier is sufficient funding. Not only the developing nations are facing the challenge of inadequate funding for new technologies, developed nations (such as our own school communities in Canada) also face the same challenge. Governments of different nations might put their financial resources to matters other than education, which makes it difficult for educational section to catch up with the fast growing development of new technologies. A possible solution is to allow patrons (such as students at schools, users of the public libraries) to “bring their own devices” (“BYOD” policy). I tried to search for guideline on “BYOD” provided by the Canadian Library Association, but was unsuccessful. However, I discovered a policy book on “Libraries and Mobile Technology” published by the American Library Association. The policy book agrees that mobile technologies provide patrons 24/7 access to information, however, it also raised a concern on patrons’ privacy. It is also a concern that schools have in allowing students’ to bring their own device. My school allows students to bring their own devices, but students are only allowed to use it with teacher’s permission and under teacher’s supervision. Students are not allowed to use their devices during recess and lunch breaks. Will this school rule need amend in the future? Maybe, but at this moment, the administrator, teachers, and students at my school are comfortable with the school rule in placed.

African Digital Library. 2014. Web. 28 Oct. 2015.
Link: http://www.africandl.org.za

Books For Africa. Web. 28 Oct. 2015.
Link: https://www.booksforafrica.org/index.html

“Global Libraries.” Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. Web. 28 Oct. 2015.
Link: http://www.gatesfoundation.org/What-We-Do/Global-Development/Global-Libraries

Hamilton, Stuart. “Stamping out Poverty as Well as Books? How Libraries Can Support Development.” The Guardian. 12 Mar. 2013. Web. 29 Oct. 2015.
Link: http://www.theguardian.com/global-development-professionals-network/2013/mar/12/libraries-power-global-development

Katz, Ari. “Libraries, Literacy and Technology: A New Training Module for Public Librarians in Developing Countries Targeted at Integrating Libraries into Literacy Programs.” (2015). International Research & Exchanges Board. Web. 28 Oct. 2015.
Link: http://library.ifla.org/1205/1/118-katz-en.pdf

“Librarian Training in Cameroon.” Book Aid International. Jenny Hayes, 14 Apr. 2015. Web. 29 Oct. 2015.
Link: http://www.bookaid.org/librarian-training-in-cameroon/

“Resources for Developing Country Researchers.” http://www.idrc.ca/EN/Documents/resources-for-developing-country-researchers.pdf. IDRC Information and Research Support Services, 1 June 2015. Web. 28 Oct. 2015.

Sharma, R.N. “Technology and Academic Libraries in Developing Nations.” (2009). Monmouth University. Web. 28 Oct. 2015.
Link: http://crl.du.ac.in/ical09/papers/index_files/ical-38_236_520_1_RV.pdf

Vollmer, Timothy. “There’s an App for That! Libraries and Mobile Technology: An Introduction to Public Policy Considerations.” (2010). American Library Association. Web. 29 Oct. 2015.
Link: http://www.ala.org/offices/sites/ala.org.offices/files/content/oitp/publications/policybriefs/mobiledevices.pdf

Worldreader. Web. 30 Oct. 2015.
Link: http://www.worldreader.org

4 Comments

Filed under Inquiry Project

Inquiry #3 – Being a “coach” rather than a “leader”

The world is changing, the technology is changing, the ways that students learn is changing, and so as the role of a teacher-librarian (TL). Almost all of the resources, i.e. books, articles, etc., that I have read stated that the teacher librarian is expected to take up the role of “curriculum leadership.” Scheirer (2000) had included a list of professional competencies for TL in her article, two of the competencies really stood out “BIG” to me:

1. places a priority on staff relationships and leadership in the implementation of change
  2.  provides leadership.

DIY Professional Development_thumb[3]

Photo in courtesy of:  http://www.rakisradresources.com/2015/01/where-to-find-your-own-professional.html

At my last post, I shared that I was a beginner at building my personal learning network (PLN) using one or more tools mentioned in the above photo. I am still “lurking” on social media, while my colleagues are more knowledgable on tools mentioned than I am and are possibly sharing their experience in teaching actively via those tools. I would question myself: Who am I to provide “leadership”? I guess if I HAVE to be an educational leader, I COULD push myself forward and “force” myself into the doing. However, as being a person who does not like to be the center of attention, I would be pushing myself into doing something that I am uncomfortable with and I do not think the thrust would last for long. As I was researching for ideas on how could I fulfil the role within my capability, I came across the video below: 

The video suggests supporting teacher’s professional development by working alongside with the classroom teacher. This echoes with the quote that catches my attention in the article “Librarians as Leaders in Professional Learning Communities through Technology, Literacy, and Collaboration.”

“As a school librarian, the goal should be to look at what students are learning and what teachers are teaching in the classroom and see where your knowledge and skills can fit into that plan.” (Dees et al., p. 11)

From my research, I have learned that being a educational leader does not mean that I have to be “ahead” of everyone in current educational issues, to be an expert on technology, nor being a professional development workshop speaker. I could be a support staff working collaboratively with teachers, suggesting technological tools which are applicable to the teachers’ teaching and students’ learning. In another word, I could be an “educational coach.”

A few staffs at my school have decided to try the FreshGrade program as an alternative for parent-teacher communication tool. As I had attended a summer professional development workshop on the program, I approached those staffs who would like to try and offered help in troubleshooting if they have any questions. This is the first time I made myself “visible” in new technology, and I am glad that I was able to help a few colleagues and assist a colleague in presenting a workshop on FreshGrade. I do not consider myself as an “educational coach” yet, but I think I had made a big leap in the role.

What can I do differently, or new, this year that better support the staff at my school?

I am currently not a teacher-librarian at my school. Imagine that I am, I would set the following goals for this school:

1. Be proactive in building a relationship with the individual staff at the school. Collaboration is built on a relationship with trust, and only through collaboration that I would be able to know “what students are learning and what teachers are teaching.” With that knowledge, I will then be able to suggest educational readings, professional development opportunities, or digital tools that would enhance the teachers’ teaching.
  2. “Crack out of my shell” – Instead of continuing to lurk on social media, I have to try sharing my own ideas. If I do not share or tweet, how could I encourage other staffs to do so? I have to extend my personal learning network, so that I could share my experience with others and encourage others to build their own PLN.

Two goals would be my limit for this year, as I had mentioned in my last post, I have to slow down and take small steps at a time. I think I could achieve these two goals even being a music teacher (not a TL) this year. Hence, this would be a good start.

Dees, Dianne, Alisande Mayer, Heather Morin, and Elaine Willis. “Librarians as Leaders in Professional Learning Communities through Technology, Literacy, and Collaboration.” Library Media Connection 29.2 (2010): 10-13. Web. 22 Oct. 2015. Link: http://coekate.murraystate.edu/media/professors/files/koren/LibrariansLeadLearnCommunities.pdf

Raki, Heidi. Raki’s Rad Resources. Web. http://www.rakisradresources.com

Scheirer, Bev. “The Changing Role of the Teacher-Librarian in the Twenty-first Century.” (2000). University of Saskatchewan. Web. 22 Oct. 2015. Link: http://www.usask.ca/education/coursework/802papers/scheirer/scheirer.htm

6 Comments

Filed under Inquiry Project

Inquiry #2 – Need way(s) to organize overflowing new information

Every year, we are given days for professional developments. For the first few years of my teaching career, attending conferences, workshops, and sharing sessions are the major components of my professional development activities. Since about two years ago, I started my study of the teacher-librarianship diploma at UBC (University of British Columbia). Academic reading as well as composing assignments have been my self-directed professional development activities. I also connected with the TL that I worked with at school, and one of them suggested me to attend the BCTLA annual conference to extend my PLN.

I have heard a lot of the abbreviation “PLN” lately. I am not sure whether it stands for “Professional Learning Network” or “Personal Learning Network,” but I think either one is applicable. I have a brief idea that PLN is about using ICT (information and communication technology) to build a network for learning. In order to get a more concrete idea of what PLN is and how to build my own, I searched the term “educators PLN” in Google Scholar and found the website “The Educator’s PLN.” I explored the site and discovered the following video which provides me with a clear concept of what PLN is and how to start my own PLN.

After viewing this video, I realized that I have been building my own PLN without even knowing it. I used to visit colleagues after school to share ideas, email friends and colleagues with questions or seek advice. With the use of social media and “smart technologies,” I connect with colleagues through Facebook, in which a colleague of mine shared the video that I included in my last post.

Through a few UBC courses, I have learned a number of online tools to extend my PLN, such as: Twitter, Symbaloo, Digg Reader, and Google+. However, I have only learned the basics of each tool and have not been using those online tools extensively.

Twitter – I follow professionals and associations that I am interested in via my Twitter account. However, I do not check my Twitter on a regular basis. I think it is a great path for me to know the most updated issues, only if I make checking Twitter a regular habit.

Symbaloo – It is one of my UBC course’s assignment that I used Symbaloo to organize my online resources. I had put a few things in my grid, but seldom go back to it. It is a useful tool, but I found using the Safari’s bookmark is more convenient.

Jackie's Symbaloo 2015-10-16 at 6.42.39 PM

* Screen shot of Jackie’s Symbaloo

Digg Reader – I love this tool! I like how I got updated on new posts of the blogs that I am following. The layout is user friendly, and with one click of the post title, I will be directed to the original blog where I could leave comments. Now I am using Digg Reader not only for my course work, but also for my children’s class blogs.

Google+ – I joined Google+ only a few days ago, I have not have a chance to explore this tool. However, I realize that there are other online tools, such as Symbaloo & Blogger, offer sign in to Google+ account. I wonder if I sign into all of those tools with my Google+ account, will I be able to organize all the information from different tools at one place? I will explore on that in the near future.

There are so many tools that I could use, so many updates I was informed through those tools. There are lots of times that I feel overwhelmed with all these overflowing information. David Warlick has included a diagram “Many PLN Paths” in his article “Grow Your Personal Learning Network: New Technologies Can Keep You Connected and Help You Manage Information Overload.” which provides me with a clear overview of what PLN is.

Many PLN Paths

*Screen shot of the diagram in Warlick’s article.

I know I am at the “infant stage” in building my PLN using ICT. As people always say, “one step at a time.” I already feel overwhelmed with all these new digital tools that I have learned, hence, I am slowing down my pace and will take a small step at a time. I have confidence that one day, I will have built an organized personal learning network.

Reference:

Warlick, David. “Grow Your Personal Learning Network: New Technologies Can Keep You Connected and Help You Manage Information Overload.” Learning & Leading with Technology: 12-16. ERIC. Web. 16 Oct. 2015.
<http://eric.ed.gov/?q=David Warlick&id=EJ831435>.

What Is a PLN – Marc-André Lalande’s Take. Dir. Thomas Whilby. The Educator’s PLN. N.p., 4 June 2015. Web. 16 Oct. 2015.
<http://edupln.ning.com/video/what-is-a-pln-marc-andr-lalande-s-take>

6 Comments

Filed under Inquiry Project

Inquiry #1 – Rethink Strategies and Modify

Reading and writing skills are essential to the 21st century communication. Emails, text messaging, blog posts…etc., they all require sufficient reading and writing skills. Teachers spend a lot of time and effort to ensure that students are equipped with the skills for communication. Fostering students’ love and passion in reading is equally important, and teachers spend as much effort to encourage reading as they could possibly do. As a music teacher who had been allocated to different schools for the last many years, I have the privilege to work in different schools in the district and observe different strategies in place to foster school-wide reading culture. There are two strategies that I was very fond of, with one that I think was quite effective, while the other one “faded out” as time passed.

Drop Everything and Read (D.E.A.R.)

One school that I had worked in for almost 5 years designated about 20 mins everyday after lunch as D.E.A.R time. Students were given 5 mins after lunch to come in and settle down after outside play, had one or few books ready for D.E.A.R. Then the office would put some classical music on through the PA system, and everyone, including students, staffs, office staffs and administrator, would drop their work and read. I found this strategy very effective as reading time was build into the students’ routine, and adults were role modelling . Everyone at the school are well-prepared for that time of the day and always have a book, or maybe a list of books ready for the daily reading time. Moreover, the classical music helped calming everyone down from all the excitement at lunch time. By the end of D.E.A.R., students were emotionally calm and ready to focus on their afternoon learning.

Reading for the Stars

One year, a teacher-librarian organized a school-wide reading event, “Reading for the Stars.” Everyone, including students and staffs, at the school would have their photos on a star. Students’ stars were posted on their classroom doors, while the staffs’ stars were posted on the bulletin board across from the office. Each time a person finished reading a book, he/she would go to the TL and get a sticker to put on his/her star. At the beginning of the year, everyone was excited and was reading and getting stickers on their stars. As the months go by, staffs and students got busy with classroom works, Christmas concert, sports activities, etc., leisure reading was slowing down. Eventually, it seemed like no one cared about the stickers anymore. I think busyness was not the main cause of the ineffectiveness of the strategy, but also there was no incentives to motivate readers. I think it is a terrific strategy to have a school-wide event for reading, but readers need motivation to participate.

My Inquiry

I have never been a teacher-librarian, therefore, I do not have any hands-on experience in promoting school-wide reading. Hence, I went to Google Scholar to search for resources: images, videos, blogs…etc. and I came across a YouTube video titled “Reading in School. Episode One: Elementary.” My first impression was that the video was done by a teenage girl who would like to be a “YouTube star.” However, the title drew my attention and I watched it to see what the girl had to say. It turned out to be a university student, Ariel Bissett, who loves reading and shared about her opinion on the four elementary school reading strategies that she had experienced. Ariel majors in English at university and likes to share online her passion in reading. Her opinion prompted me to re-think what could I change in my practice that would increase the effectiveness of a reading strategy.

1.Colour-coded levelled primary books

Ariel’s opinion: She thinks that only a few students in the class were eagered to reach to the highest level, but most of the students did not really care because there was no incentives for reading to the highest level.

What could I do?

Rewards. Incentives for reaching certain level. As I was googling about library reading program, I found this picture:

2013-Book Bingo-poster

Photo in courtesy of: http://www.thebedfordcitizen.org/2013/07/05/summer-activities-for-kids-at-the-bedford-free-public-library/

This book bingo not only provides an incentive to motivate reading, but also encourages students to read different kinds of books. Teachers could customize the bingo card according to student’s needs, or in general, different primary and intermediate level. If I were a teacher-librarian, I would definitely promote “Book Bingo” in my library.

2. Teacher Read Aloud

Ariel’s opinion: Students were not focused on what the teacher was reading.

What could I do?

Drama is another interest of mine. I love reading a story to class and ask the class to dramatize it. My students love it, it makes the story come to live and help students to think in the characters’ shoes.

3. Silent Reading

Ariel’s opinion: Teachers seemed to be not care if students were reading or not as long as they had a book in hand. There was no follow-up on what students had read during silent reading time.

What could I do?

Last year, one of the intermediate teacher at my school created an Edmodo group for her class called “Reading Club.” I joined the group and have been reading students’ posts on what they have been reading. I think social media is a great way for students to share about their reading. Maybe students could be allowed time after silent reading to write a post on a class blog, hoping this would motivate students to focus on reading during silent reading. Also, teachers could response and give comments on post to show that they do care about students’ readings.

4. Library time

Ariel’s opinion: Students were socializing instead of looking for books to read. Teacher-librarian would encourage students to find a book they like but did not help them finding one.

What could I do?

Creative catalog system would would make finding books easier for students.

Metis Classification

Photo in courtesy of:  https://lwplibrary.wordpress.com/tag/bisac/

If books could be shelf according to subjects, with the subjects labelled on the shelf, students would be able to find the books they like easier and faster.

In conclusion, Ariel stated that all strategies are good, but teacher’s involvement in students’ reading is the key to foster students’ love and passion in reading. I could not agree more. Program is not the most important, it is the interpersonal relationship that makes a program effective.

To end my post, I would like to share the following CTV video, which my friend shares on Facebook.  It shows how a teacher use ICT to encourage her students to read with others, to tweet about what they have read.  “Global Read Aloud” would be in my “must-try” list when I have the opportunity to be a teacher-librarian.

10 Comments

Filed under Inquiry Project

Reading Review Blog Post – Part C

For the last week, I have been reading the articles that I found on multiliteracies. I chose to read those that are teacher’s sharing of their experience in teaching multiliteracies in the classroom. As I was reading the articles, I questioned myself: the “multiliteracies” lessons that other teachers had done, sounded familiar and seemed to be what we had been doing on a daily basis without labelling it as “multiliteracies” lessons. For example, when we read stories to primary classes, we would direct students’ attention to the illustrations of the book (visual). We would also use multimodal format in teaching literacies. That led me to ask another question: Is “multiliteracies” a new pedagogy in literacy teaching, or only a “new term” for a basic but old pedagogy?

During my research, I also noticed that most of the work were done in between years 2010 to 2012. This raised my other concern: are there any recently published work on multiliteracies?

I searched online again but did not have any luck in finding recent academic work on the topic. Yet, I came across the name Kathy Hibbert a few times. Dr. Hibbert is a professor in the faculty of education at the University of Western Ontario. Multiliteracies is one of her research interests. I found and followed her on Twitter, moreover, I had visited her blog (The Salty Chip Blog, http://thesaltychip.edublogs.org) as well as the Canadian Multiliteracies Collaborative website (http://www.saltychip.com) that she had initiated to provide a platform for teachers to share ideas and learn collaboratively. On her blog, there are links to other website regarding “multiliteracies,” but the “Centre for Multiliteracies” and the “Multiliteracies Project” are no longer existed. There is a link to the “Emergent Multiliteracies in Theory and Practice” website which still exists, still, the works posted on the website were from year 2012 or prior. I had also checked on the Canadian Multiliteracies Collaborative website. Unfortunately, after I had registered and logged in, I found the lately post was done in 2012.

The research process up to this point was quite disappointing, but at the same time, raised the alarm if this is a current educational matter that I should focus on for my inquiry project. The BCTF (BC Teachers’ Federation) report on “multiliteracies” was one of my research result. I read it last and I agreed totally to the union’s view on it. The report includes a summary of a “Multiliteracies collaborative research project” done in partnership of the BCTF, UBC, and the Vancouver School Board. The report concludes, and I quoted from the report, that “a considerable number of teachers were engaged in multiliteracies pedagogy that they had initiated as autonomous professionals in response to student’s needs, local community composition, and with an awareness of technological, communication and media changes in society at large.” (p. 17-18) Multiliteracies is already existed in our practices because we, teachers, would modify our teaching according to the student’s needs and change in the world, not because we all have read and studied the “Multiliteracies Pedagogy.”

In conclusion, I am going to put a period on my research in multiliteracies. I am still interested in using multimodal format in teaching literacies, and perhaps, that would be my focus in my next inquiry.

British Columbia Teachers’ Frederation. “Understanding the concept and evolution of the Multiliteracies literature since 1996, with a consideration of its relevance to a Canadian teacher union engaged in a Multiliteracies collaborative research project.” Web. 26 Sept. 2015.
http://www.bctf.ca/uploadedFiles/Public/Issues/21CL/MultiliteraciesNaylor.pdf

Barton, G., & Unsworth, L. (2014). Music, multiliteracies and multimodality: Exploring the book and movie versions of Shaun Tan’s ‘The lost thing’. Australian Journal of Language and Literacy, 37(1). Web. 26 Sept. 2015

Biswas, Shampa. “How to Teach Multiliteracies?” The Canadian Journal for Teacher Research, 3 July 2014. Web. 26 Sept. 2015.
http://www.teacherresearch.ca/blog/article/2014/07/03/245-how-to-teach-multiliteracies

Dallacqua, K., Kersten, S., & Rhoades, M. (2015). Using Shaun Tan’s work to foster multiliteracies in 21st-Century classrooms. The Reading Teacher, 69(2), 207-217. doi:10.1002. Web. 26 Sept. 2015

Emergent Multiliteracies in Theory and Practice.
http://multiliteracies4kidz.blog.yorku.ca

Hibbert, Kathy. Website: http://www.kathyhibbert.com

Main, Kristin L. (2011) “Mapping Multiliteracies onto the Pedagogy of K-12 Teachers.” University of Toronto. Web. 26 Sept. 2015
https://tspace.library.utoronto.ca/bitstream/1807/27590/1/Kristin_Main_PhD_thesis_2011.pdf

Natalie Cooper , Lori Lockyer & Ian Brown (2013) Developing multiliteracies in a technology-mediated environment, Educational Media International, 50:2, 93-107, DOI: 10.1080/09523987.2013.795350
Link: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09523987.2013.795350

The Salty Chip Blog. Website: http://thesaltychip.edublogs.org

The Salty Chip: A Canadian Multiliteracies Collaborative.
Website: http://www.saltychip.com

2 Comments

Filed under Reading Review Blog Post