Monthly Archives: February 2016

Theme Two: The 21st Century Reference “Collection”

As I studied through Theme Two, I found the study was quite straight forward as the tasks of a teacher-librarian (TL) were clearly laid out with guidelines.

One of the many tasks of a TL is to conduct reference interview in order to gain insight of the learning community better. The teacher-librarian should invest time into building relationship with the patrons (students and staffs) and focus on their needs. The information gathered through reference interviews should be considered when selecting new reference materials.

Another task of a TL is to manage the reference collection. The Surrey School District (SD 36) provides the teacher-librarians with guidelines in selecting and evaluating reference materials in the district’s Teacher-Librarian Handbook. Riedling, Marlow, & Shake (2013) have discussed in detail in evaluating different formats of reference resources. Bishop (2007) listed the advantages and disadvantages of different formats of reference materials, as well as discussions in the selection criteria, implication of collection development and copyright considerations for each format. Since the TL is acquaintance with the needs of the learning community, the management of the reference collection would become a less challenging task.

Regular evaluations of the reference service are required to improve the service. Lamb & Johnson suggested that library collection could be evaluated through the mapping of collection, along with the circulation statistics. Surveying the patrons could help the TL in evaluating the physical collection as well as the service provided by the TL. I think it is important that a TL should have an open-mind and willingness in accepting any suggestions and opinion, criticism or complementaries on the collection as well as the service. Placing a suggestion box on the library counter would encourage students and staffs to provide suggestions.

suggestion_box__mf0c54__myisc5

Photo courtesy of http://www.mindsatwork.com.au/creativity-2/the-suggestion-box/

The 21st Century Learning Commons and Reference “Collection”

In this 21st century, the libraries, including school and public libraries, are gradually changing into learning commons. There is no question that the roles of the TL change accordingly. As the learning community focuses on inquiry-based learning, the TL is expected to work collaboratively with teachers and students. Besides being the manager of the library collection, the TL is expected to be educational leader whose goal is to build a collaborative learning community. As I browse through the web in search for image to be included in this blog post, I came across this image:

Bad, Good, Great Libraries

Photo courtesy of http://quartz.syr.edu/blog/?p=1600

We had been discussing about building collections and providing services, however, what make a 21st century library great is that it provides a platform to building a learning community. The above image lead me to a blog post titled with the quotes in the photo above, composed by R. David Lankes. In the blog post, Lankes stated:

“So, do good, bad, great, and ugly libraries have collections? Yes. But great libraries realize that the collection is not what sits on the stacks, but the members and their worlds. The focus is on connection development, not collection development.”

Moreover, in the same blog post, Lankes further discuss the kind of collection that a school librarian should have:

“…great school librarians have a collections of lessons they teach, student teams that assist teachers with technology, and collections of good pedagogy.”

I definitely could resonate to those statements. Please do not misunderstand. The statements do not mean that we should throw out the physical reference collection in the library, but to shift our focus from the physical to relational. The video below, which I discovered on YouTube, shows how a public librarian went over and beyond in bringing resources to build a learning community. I had learned inspirational ideas from the presenter, Pam, such as bringing in live animals and providing reference books on the animals to encourage inquiry learning. Hope that Pam’s sharing could inspire you as well.

Asselin, M., Branch, J., & Oberg, D., (Eds). Achieving information literacy: Standards for school library programs in Canada. Ottawa, ON: Canadian School Library Association & The Association for Teacher-Librarianship in Canada.

Bishop, Kay. The Collection Program in Schools: Concepts, Practices, and Information Sources. 4th ed. Westport: Libraries Unlimited, 2007. Print.

Lamb, Annette, and Larry Johnson. “Management: Collection Evaluation.” Multimedia Seeds: Audio and Video Collections in Schools and Libraries. Web. 16 Feb. 2016. <http://eduscapes.com/seeds/management/cd4.html>

Lankes, R. David. “Beyond the Bullet Points: Bad Libraries Build Collections, Good Libraries Build Services, Great Libraries Build Communities.” Web log post. R. David Lankes. 11 Mar. 2012. Web. 19 Feb. 2016.
Link: http://quartz.syr.edu/blog/?p=1411

Riedling, Ann Marlow, Loretta Shake, and Cynthia Houston. Reference Skills for the School Librarian: Tools and Tips. Third ed. Linworth, 2013. Print.

School District No. 36 (Surrey) Teacher-Librarian Handbook. Surrey School District, 2007. Print.

1 Comment

Filed under Theme Blog Post

Assignment One: Evaluation of Reference Resources

”One of the most important tasks of a school librarian is to help students and teachers find the best materials available – in all formats – to support teaching and learning.” (Riedling, Shake & Houston, p. 18)

In order to perform the task, it is necessary for a teacher-librarian to acquire knowledge on what is being taught and learned in the school community. For myself being a core music teacher, there is no doubt that I would be interested in the music, non-fiction section of the library. In furtherance of evaluating the current library collection of resources for music, an understanding of the music program at the school is crucial.

Curricular Connection

I have been teaching kindergarten to grade seven music at Royal Heights Elementary, Surrey, for almost 10 years. Since I know the students and the community quite well, and the administrator is supportive in the music program, I decided to develop a new program based on classical music and new B.C. curriculum.

According to the B.C. arts education curriculum (both the new one and the previous one), students are expected to learn about music from a variety of tradition, culture, and community. Personally, I believe that through the study of music in different periods in the music history, students would be able to make connection to how music style has evolved into what we have nowadays.

This year is the “trial and error” year, and so far, the students responses are positive. Students show excitement and curiosity in learning about the lives of the composers, such as J.S. Bach, Mozart, Vivaldi, etc. They are also enthusiastic about learning musical elements through singing and playing instrument accompaniments to the compositions of the composers we studied. I do mostly direct teaching with the primary classes. On the other hand, I take the approach of inquiry-based learning, in which I work alongside and learn collaboratively with my intermediate students. Hence, for this assignment, I would evaluate the library resources with the intermediate students as my targeted users of the resources.

Rubric for Evaluating Resources

After reading Asselin, Branch & Oberg’s Achieving Information Literacy: Standards for School Library Program in Canada, and Riedling, Shake & Houston’s Reference Skills for the School Librarian: Tools and Tips, I designed the following rubric to help evaluating the reference resources.

Non-satisfactory

Acceptable

Exemplary

Relevancy

(Curricular Support)

Material supports a small part of the curriculum

Material supports much of the curriculum

Material fully supports the curriculum

Currency

Copyright date exceeds 10 years

Copyright date is within the last 10 years

Copyright date is within one year

Accuracy of Information

Contains incorrect or biased information

Contains accurate information, but omits facts regarding unfavourable

Contains accurate, unbiased information

Ease of Use

Information is poorly organized

Information is organized without an index

Information is well organized with an index

Efficient Use of Library Space

Resource uses unreasonable amount of space, i.e.. does not fit into regular shelf

Resource uses decent amount of library space

Resource does not need much of a space

Cost

Cost is exceeded the school budget

Cost is within the school budget

Cost is minimal or free of cost

Future Updates

No future updates are available

Resource contains facts, no updates needed

Future updates are available with minimum or no cost

Evaluation of a Current Library Resource

Photo: Music (non-fiction) section in Royal Heights Elementary Library

The Royal Heights Elementary library has a small collection of resources for music. There are less than 30 reference resources and approximately 15 story books relate to music matters. Among the reference resources, there are about 7 biography books that I often use to introduce composers of our studies. For this assignment, I have chosen a “music dictionary” which includes information regarding composers, different styles of music, and different kinds of instrument from a variety of cultures.

Book: Barber, Nicola. Music: An A-Z Guide. New York: Watts Reference, 2001.

Photo: Cover page of the book

Using the above mentioned rubric, the following is my evaluation of the resource:

Relevancy: The book contains relevant, truthful, and unbiased informations on
musicians, musical instruments and styles. However, informations are brief and introductory.
[Acceptable]

Currency: The publication date of the book is 2001, more than 10 years.
[Not satisfactory]

Accuracy of Information: The book contains accurate, and brief information, detailed facts are omitted.
[Acceptable]

Ease of Use: The information is organized with an index at the back of the book.
[Exemplary]

Efficient Use of Space: The book is in decent size, and it fits into the bookshelf.
[Acceptable]

Cost: The book costs Canadian dollars $27.95. The price is reasonable.
[Acceptable]

Future Updates: The book is 14 years old, and no updates is available for the past 14 years. However, the book contains mostly facts that updates are not necessary.
[Acceptable]

On average, the resource is considered “acceptable” as a reference resource. It deserves a place on the bookshelf on the Royal Heights Elementary library, and will not be considered for weeding.

Evaluation of a Potential Resource

Resource accessibility is my major concern of any potential resources. In the new music program I am designing, I try to facilitate individual inquiry project in which individual student would decide on the musician that he or she would like to study. In the past, my students and I had experienced situations when more than one student were studying the same composer, but there was only one reference resource available in the library. In our recent inquiry project on the role of music/sound in movies, researching online is our only option as there was no printed resources available in our school library. Therefore, I search for an online database as a potential resource.

Website: Classics for Kids

Home Page SSP Content

Relevancy: The website contains information on composers, musical instruments, musical theory, as well as musical careers. The informations are brief and introductory, and may not be detailed enough to fully supports the curriculum.
[Acceptable]

Currency: The website is maintained and information is updated consistently. The last update was in 2016.
[Exemplary]

Accuracy of Information: I have not read through all the information. However, for the 6 composer biographies that I have read, all informations are accurate. As the information is brief, some facts are omitted.
[Acceptable]

Ease of Use: The website is well organized with tabs at the top. I think it is user- friendly, and I do not think that intermediate students would have much trouble searching for desired information using this website. Moreover, there is a “search” engine embedded in the site, information could easily be located using keyword search.
[Exemplary]

Efficient Use of Space: No storage space is needed.
[Exemplary]

Cost: The website is free of charge.
[Exemplary]

Future Updates: As mentioned above, the website is updated regularly.
[Exemplary]

The only disadvantage of this website is that it is not advertisement free. The site is funded by the advertisement ads on the website pages, therefore, it is free of charge. Even with the advertisements here and there on different pages, I think this online is rated between acceptable to exemplary, and should be included in our library’s digital resource list.

Area of Learning: Arts Education. BC’s New Curriculum: Building Student Success. Web. February 6th, 2016. Retrieved from https://curriculum.gov.bc.ca/sites/curriculum.gov.bc.ca/files/pdf/ae_learning_standards.pdf

Barber, Nicola. Music: An A-Z Guide. New York: Watts Reference, 2001. Print.

Riedling, Ann Marlow, Loretta Shake, and Cynthia Houston. Reference Skills for the School Librarian: Tools and Tips. Third ed. Linworth, 2013. Print. An Imprint of ABC-CLIO, LLC