1.1 Introduction

Hi Everyone! I’m really looking forward to reading your blogs throughout the term. My name is Jade, I’m a fourth-year student from Seattle, Washington at UBC Vancouver and I study English literature and have a minor in GRSJ (gender, race, sexuality, social justice). Spring of 2019 I studied abroad at the University of Amsterdam and took courses in Shakespeare, 19th-century philosophy, and Medieval literature. Over the last few years, my favorite areas of study have been feminist theory, environmental justice, and contemporary literature. My favorite books are Jazz by Toni Morrison, Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami, and The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. I am graduating this May and I hope to either pursue a Masters of Management degree in 2021 or find a job at the University in student recruitment or advising. 

In ENGL 372, I’m excited to explore British and Indigenous literature through an anti-colonialist lens. I’m curious about national myths and how Canada constructs itself through colonial narratives. My favorite example of colonial patriotism is the Molson beer commercial from 2000 that asserts what it ‘truly’ means to be a Canadian. In a GRSJ course this past semester, I learned about the various ways Canada relies on the invisibility of Indigenous peoples from the land through incarceration, destroying their land for oil, and taking away their rights. I also learned the many ways Indigenous peoples are resisting and reasserting their power over the nation-state. As an American, I was always told that Canada is so much more progressive, that they are kind to Indigenous peoples, welcoming to immigrants, and that they do not have racist practices and policies like the United States. Now, however, I have developed a deeper understanding of the type of practices involved in a settler state and that Canada is not necessarily the progressive nation I believed it to be. For example, the disproportionate representation of Indigenous peoples in prison, the building on pipelines on Indigenous land, and the tar sand factories creating unliveable conditions for Indigenous communities. In this course, I hope to continue to learn how the stories the nation tells itself silence Indigenous existence and reaffirm colonialism. 

Eve Tuck in “Suspending Damage: A Letter to Communities” importantly argues that while it is important to understand the impacts of colonialism and how they affect Indigenous communities on a daily basis, we must move beyond the damage. She thus proposes that we study Indigenous history and literature through desire-based research, a framework that is “concerned with understanding complexity, contradiction, and the self-determination of lived lives” (Tuck 416). In this course, I hope to challenge the colonial framework that relies on Indigenous peoples as damaged and to explore various novels by Indigenous authors through a desire-based framework. 

I have taken an online class before and participated in weekly online posts, however, I have never partaken in an online group research project. I’m looking forward to developing my technology skills and confidence in communicating effectively online. Talking with my older peers, I am learning that at many jobs these days people work remotely, meaning all of the communication and work are done online. While I anticipate several challenges in the lack of face to face interaction for this course, these struggles will support me in being able to work well anywhere. My ultimate goal is to improve my time-management skills and analytical voice.  

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog and I’m looking forward to getting started on the course material! 

Gutheil, Dean. “I. AM. CANADIAN! by Molson – CBC Archives.” CBCnews, CBC/Radio Canada, 2000, www.cbc.ca/archives/entry/i-am-canadian-by-molson.

Tuck, Eve. “Suspending Damage: A Letter to Communities.” Harvard Educational Review, vol. 79, no. 3, 2009, pp. 409–428., doi:10.17763/haer.79.3.n0016675661t3n15.

11 Thoughts.

1. Hi Jade! Thank you so much for your insightful and thoughtful blog post, I really enjoyed reading it. I watched the Molson beer commercial that you referred to and left a hyperlink for in your blog post, and I think it is a great example of colonial patriotism. The commercial created a Canadian identity of what it means to ‘truly’ be Canadian, as you mentioned, but omits Indigenous peoples and immigrant groups by using suppression. I thought this was a very good example to have in your first blog post and will be very relevant in this course! I also took a GRSJ course in my first year, and I briefly mentioned it in my blog post as well, and we learned about the nation-state and Peggy McIntosh’s invisible backpack, among many other things. I am sure that your background knowledge with your minor in GRSJ will provide useful and thoughtful insight throughout this course!

I think that even though you have never partaken in an online group research project, it will go well! Speaking from my own personal experiences, I really enjoy them and I think it is even nice to all meet at a cafe and brainstorm, and also a great way to meet your peers and share ideas. I do agree with you that there may be challenges due to the lack of face to face interaction, but I also think that the blogs, facebook page, and canvas discussion board will help alleviate this as well and encourage open communication. It was really nice to read this post! I look forward to reading your next one 🙂

Maya

• Hi Maya,
      I’m glad you found the Molson commercial interesting. I think we will be able to refer back to it throughout the term.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to my blog!
      -Jade

2. Hi Jade! It’s nice to e-meet you. It sounds like you have a lot of academic background you’ll be able to put to use in this course, so I look forward to learning from you.

Thanks for sharing the Molson commercial – it was very interesting to watch it while in the mindset of this course. I think I may have seen it before when I was younger, and likely laughed at it and made nothing of it. To watch it with the knowledge I have now though, was quite shocking. In particular, the main character mentions how he is “not a fur trader”, he “doesn’t eat blubber” and he “doesn’t race a bobsled”. I was struck by these comments because for many Inuit people, eating blubber is a staple part of their diet. This article analyzes the commercial in detail and I think you’ll find it of interest: https://nationalpost.com/life/food/i-am-not-american-what-can-beer-ads-tell-us-about-our-national-identity
    To quote the main point of the article:
    “The whole thing presents a universal rallying cry, while at the same time it’s obvious that Molson has a rather specific kind of Canadian in mind.”

I also wanted to add to your list of injustices, the higher percentage of missing and murdered Indigenous women (https://www.mmiwg-ffada.ca/), and the higher percentage (over 50% of youth) of Indigenous children in the foster care system (https://www.macleans.ca/politics/why-indigenous-children-are-overrepresented-in-canadas-foster-care-system/).

I’m curious about the desire-based framework that you wrote about, how do you think you will remind yourself to use that framework for analysis in this course? I ask as it seems like a valuable framework to use and I would like to learn from you!

Lastly, as someone working full-time currently, I completely agree with the reliance on technology and virtual communication in our current workforce. The ability to connect with anyone, anywhere, anytime is fantastic, but it does take some practice and skills, so I think you’ll benefit from practicing in this course!

Thanks for an interesting post.

• Hi Katarina,
      Thanks for the response. To answer your question about desire-based framework, I think one way we can remember to apply it is through working to understand the complexities of the Indigenous communities represented. In addition, if we are reading literature from a settler perspective and they are addressing Indigenous peoples, to be critical of the ways they are represented. It is important that, as scholars, we don’t merely compile all of the horrific impacts of colonialism on Indigenous communities and move on. This, Eve Tuck argues, solely depicts Indigenous communities as damaged and ignores everything else. With this said, applying desire-based framework is definitely something I will continue to learn.

I look forward to e-interacting with you more over the term!
      -Jade

3. Hi Jade,
    It was great reading your introductory post! I found the quote by Eve Tuck to be really thought-provoking, as it highlights what I hope will be one of our main focuses in this course in order to really hear and engage with the “lived lives” of Indigenous people.

It’s so interesting to hear your perspective on Canada as an American, as I think that the idea of Canada as being more progressive and accepting in comparison to other countries is really prominent around the world and, as you mention, fails to illustrate the injustice and racism that occurs in this country. While of course Canada has great attributes, I think it is an important part of Canada’s development to acknowledge its faults rather than try to hide them or create an idealized version of itself. Do you have any ideas on how we can help depict Canada in a more accurate way to other countries who may hold these idealized perspectives?

-Indra

• Hi Indra,

Thank you for the response! I think while it is important as individuals we recognize the true histories of our nations, people in power have the highest responsibility. I can’t begin to describe all the myths and racism and misogyny that white supremacist Trump spreads throughout the nation, but that is not to say that Trudeau is innocent. For example the Kinder Mogran pipeline or brownface incident. I think our responsibility is to hold our leaders accountable for the stories they tell and the policies they make.

I’m interested to see where this conversation will go throughout the term.

Best,
      Jade

4. Hi Jade, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog post, as I am in full agreement with some of the points you made. Often times, we read things in a colonial perspective. We learn how Canada is highly diverse and welcoming to immigrants, how open minded we are socially, and are lucky to live in a free country. Although I am not denying there are truth in this perspective, we fail to recognize there are 2 sides to the coin. In the pursuit of our freedom to speak English and French, we are denying recognition of Indigenous languages. To gain wealth as a country, we are exploiting the land of the Indigenous populations through deforestation, oil fracking etc.). To create an image of what it is to be “Canadian”, (friendly, maple syrup lovers etc.), we are putting aside who and what experiences lay before Canada became a country.

I really like how you mention that we must “move beyond the damage” (Greer), because you are right, saying “sorry” does not fix things in a way. Actually taking the time to understand their own language, culture and historical perspective will we understand their lives.

• Hi Sashini,
      Thank you for taking the time to read and respond to my blog!
      I like what you say here because it’s not that Canada isn’t highly diverse and welcoming to immigrants, rather it’s that the other side of the story is not being shared.

I look forward to reading your future posts.
      -Jade 🙂

5. Hi Jade! Thanks for your post 🙂
    A thought stemmed up while I was reading your statement about the different frameworks of literature around First Nations. There is the current colonial framework that focuses on negative aspects, events, and the effects of colonialism when discussing indigenous cultures. You also mentioned a desire-based framework which seems like a more constructive and wholesome way of shedding light on indigenous culture. I also think an experience-type framework would be really cool: A framework that illustrates how indigenous thoughts and cultures make them see and experience the world in a very different way. Sometimes I wonder how indigenous people see and experience the world. Are certain common human experiences experienced differently? For example, are they more likely to be connected to the moment? Do indigenous people experience time differently? How does mythology shape the way that people see the world compared to a rationality-based framework of thought?

Can you elaborate more on what you think Eve Tuck meant by “understanding complexity, contradiction, and the self-determination of lived lives”? Complexity and contradiction in what ways?

-Gabrielle

• Hi Gabrielle,

Thank you for reading my blog!

While I cannot speak for Eve Tuck, the way I understood her was to learn and study Indigenous stories through an open perspective that doesn’t limit lived experiences to colonial damage.

I look forward to interacting with you more!
      Best,
      Jade