Assignment 1.5: Where did Evil Come From?

I have a great story to tell you.

The other day I was walking on the street for hours and hours. I had left home, ready for a fresh start. I had one bag with a bottle of water, one granola bar, and my favourite stuffed toy. I wasn’t prepared for the rainy weather, but that didn’t matter to me. I just wanted to get away and find somewhere good. 

I came upon a beautiful skyline situated by tall beautiful mountains, vast evergreen forest, and deep blue water. I had never seen any place so that was so perfect. 

As I approached the city, I met lovely people, pet cute dogs, and found plenty of delicious food. 

While on the beach, I met a friend who invited me to their home. It was huge and had everything I could ever dream of. A kitchen overflowing with food, heat, and many blankets. 

I believed as though I was in paradise. It seemed like living in a home like that in a city as beautiful as this one would never have to worry. However, once I left my friend’s house I realized that most homes did not look like my friend’s home. Some people didn’t even have a home. 

How could certain places have so much wealth and beauty not share with those who have nothing? 

I then realized, for beauty to exist, others must live without it. 

The next time I visited my friend’s home, I told them of my discovery. That while this city may seem perfect, there is much evil that exists beneath the beauty. 

Then I began to wonder: Is beauty simply evil in disguise? 

I could never look at beauty the same.

Now remember, once you have told a story, you can never take it back. So, be careful of the stories you tell, AND, the stories you listen to.

Reflection:

My process of telling this story was unique, for I thought of it/ wrote it while I was babysitting a two-year-old and six-year-old kid. I wanted to tell a story that was relevant to me, but also a story that would be interesting for children. I realized that this story has very different meanings depending on one’s own experiences. When I told it to the children I was watching, for example, they enjoyed the descriptions of Vancouver that accentuate the natural beauty. They were born in Vancouver thus they feel a close connection to the city. I, on the other hand, coming to Vancouver as a student, view the city from a different perspective. After telling the story to the children from memory, I tried to simplify the language and plot to make it easier for them to understand. Though the children did grasp the meaning of my story, it was fun to practice storytelling and retelling.

Similar to King’s story, once my narrator discovers evil she cannot look at the world the same. My story is inspired by my move to Vancouver where I was astonished by how beautiful Vancouver was. Everyone was friendly, the scenery was beautiful, and UBC was extremely welcoming. What I did not realize was that UBC is on stolen land. A place that represents diversity, education, discovery, exists because Indigenous were forced to give up their home. Beauty, therefore, is not what it seems. This also brings up the question of whether beauty is possible in a place built upon so much evil.

This story also represents the greater Vancouver area where some are living in beautiful homes with an abundance of resources whereas others have been kicked out of their homes are live on the streets. Housing prices have skyrocketed and neighborhoods are continuously being gentrified. This is not an individual issue but a systematic one.

Works Cited:

Lindeman, Tracey. “What Will It Take to Cool Vancouver’s Red-Hot Rental Market?” CityLab, 25 June 2019, www.citylab.com/design/2019/05/vancouver-affordable-rent-housing-home-prices-zoning-density/588916/.

Shantz, Jeff. “There Is No Justice on Stolen Indigenous Land in Canada.” The Georgia Straight, 12 Mar. 2018, www.straight.com/news/1042826/jeff-shantz-there-no-justice-stolen-indigenous-land-canada.

6 Thoughts.

1. Hi Jade,

I really enjoyed your story! I found it very interesting that you made a direct connection between King’s story and your personal experience in Vancouver. I have often thought that Vancouver is a very beautiful city with many ugly shadows. I like that your story challenges the association that is often made between beauty and goodness.

I agree that the issues of housing are systematic, not individual. Perhaps this means that we should work to shine a light on Canada and its shadowy history of racism. Do you think that by illuminating this history and exposing the “ugly” aspects of Canada we can work toward true beauty? If so, then would you say truth is the good (or the true beauty) that we should pursue in the face of evil and deceit?

Eva

• Hi Eva,
      Thank you for your comments!

I think as well as exposing the true history of Canada it is important to unpack the housing crisis and the effects of it on marginalized communities. As Vancouver gains popularity, neighborhoods are gentrified, homes become incredibly expensive, and more people are forced out of their houses.

Sadly I do not see the problem improving anytime soon, but I hope cheaper housing can be implemented, higher minimum wage, more shelters, and land being returned to Indigenous communities.

As well there are many things we do not see in Vancouver such as oil production. To create the beauty in Vancouver means to destroy other land and people’s livelihoods in, for example, Alberta.

I hope this answers your question!
      -Jade 🙂

2. Hello Jade,
    I really like your story somewhat related to our next topic, “Home”. As Eva mentioned on the comment, I also found it very interesting that you made a direct connection between King’s story and your personal experience in Vancouver. However, I have one question on my mind. I think you described wealth as an evil thing. Is that evilness comes from after the protagonist left friends home? Or is it comes from emptiness? However I totally agreed that “for beauty to exist, others must live without it. ”

Thanks
    JuYeon Roh

3. Hi Juyeon Roh,
    Thank you for taking the time to read my story and comment!

The ‘evil’ I am referring to is not wealth itself or the individuals who possess it but rather the system in place that allows some to be wealthy while others to have nothing. It is when the narrator of my story sees the contrast between her friend’s house compared to poorer areas of Vancouver that she becomes aware of the presence of evil. Vancouver’s beauty, as a result, is foregrounded on an unequal system or, as I call it in my story, ‘evil’.

-Jade

4. Thank you.
    My favourite line:
    “Then I began to wonder: Is beauty simply evil in disguise? I could never look at beauty the same.”
    What a wonderful story, like your peers, I enjoyed the allusions to the Vancouver housing crisis and displacement of low income and poor peoples and families. But Jade, you have not reflected on the ‘telling’ of the story. Did you memorize and tell your story to people? What happened to the story when you had a listener? This is what I am most curious to know.

• Hi Erika,
      Thank you for telling me.

I have updated the reflection part of this assignment to encapsulate the process and results of storytelling.
      -Jade