Assignment 3:2- King and Robinson’s Storytelling as Acts of Colonial Resistance

Prompt: For this blog assignment I would like you to make some comparisons between Harry Robson’s writing style in “Coyote Makes a Deal with the King Of England” and King’s style in Green Grass, Running Water. What similarities can you find between the two story-telling voices? Coyote and God are present in both texts, how do they compare in character and voice across the stories?

Veneta Georgieva Petkova in the article “How Thomas King Uses Coyote in his Novel Green Grass, Running Water” argues that both Thomas King and Harry Robinson want
“to preserve the unique culture of the indigenous population in North America” through storytelling. “Canada needs to give Indigenous stories the platform they deserve” by Jesse Wente similarily argues the importance of Indigenous storytelling and how storytelling resists colonialism and reclaims power. Wente explains that up until the 20th century, many Indigenous stories were and are still lost. He asserts that “one of the great acts of decolonization is to create. Make art. Tell stories” (Wente). King and Robinson write complex stories that change the way we think about history and the future. 

The most prominent similarities I came across between Thomas King’s writing and Harry Robinson’s oral stories is that both authors have embedded loads of historical references, are rethinking traditional Western stories, rewriting history, and employ a similar mix of narration and dialogue. King’s recreation of Genesis on page 68 references the beginning of time whereas Robinson’s story, “Coyote Makes a Deal with the King of England” reflects histories of colonization. Both stories, however, incorporate processes of colonization using traditional characters and tropes, sometimes explicitly and other times more abstractly. King, for example, in the recreation of “Genesis” writes “just then, some soldiers come along, and before First Woman can put on her ranger mask, those soldiers grab First Woman and Ahdamn. You are under arrest, says those soldiers. What’s the charge, says First Woman. Being Indian, says those soldiers” (72). While these character voices are presented as singular, they reflect the greater colonial history of Canada where Indigenous peoples were criminalized simply for existing in space settlers desired to cultivate. The conflict between First Woman, Ahdamn, and the soldiers thus recreates the first encounter stories we were previously discussing. Robinson, in the story “Coyote Makes a Deal with the King of England” also uses fictional characters to reenact history. For example, Robinson writes “Once you say we not going to fight, we can make out a paper and sign” (73). Robinson is referencing a complex history around treaties and war. The effect of King and Robinson’s incorporation of histories of colonialism is to teach their readers about it in a non-authoritative manner. Contrary to Western history that tends to lean towards facts, these stories show rather than tell us what happened. 

Another significant similarity between King and Robinson is the way their stories reflect oral traditions. As I discuss in my previous blog, “Coyote Makes a Deal with the King of England” uses language that is similar to day to day dialogue as opposed to formal writing. This brings us into the story and allows us to feel as though we are apart of the character’s conversations. 

Two characters both King and Robinson are Coyote and God. Veneta Georgieva Petkova explains that “the image of Coyote takes a central place in [Native American] culture, because of his never-ending desire to start the next story for the creation of the world and to have everything right in it” (5). In Robinson’s story, Coyote is “called on by God” and acts as an agent. He is passive in tone, for instance, he says “whatever he says I will” (Robinson 67). In Green Grass Running Water, Coyote is a trickster “with kind intentions to help fixing up the world” (Petkova). King’s version of Coyote confidently asserts that they are “very smart” (2). The effect of these different portrayals of Coyote show that while Coyote is a well-known figure, Coyote is also malleable and unrestricted to particular characteristics. This page of the online Canadian Encyclopedia explains that “a number of Indigenous artists formed the Committee to Re-establish the Trickster in the 1980s as a means of emphasizing the trickster’s role in Indigenous literature, while also offsetting stereotypical representations of Indigenous peoples in mainstream Canadian literature”. 

I’m curious about what you all think about the different portrayals of Coyote.

“Coyote Makes a Deal with the King of England.” Living by Stories: a Journey of Landscape and Memory, by Harry Robinson and Wendy C. Wickwire, Talonbooks, 2005, pp. 64–85.

King, Thomas. Green Grass, Running Water. Harper Perennial Canada , 1993.

Petkova, Veneta Georgieva. “How Thomas King Uses Coyote in His Novel Green Grass, Running Water.” Canadian Literature, 2011, pp. 1–35.

“Trickster.” The Canadian Encyclopedia, www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/trickster.

Wente, Jesse. “Canada Needs to Give Indigenous Stories the Platform They Deserve.” The Globe and Mail, 14 Apr. 2017, www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/film/canada-needs-to-give-indigenous-stories-the-platform-they-deserve/article34046186/.

5 Thoughts.

1. Hi Jade,

Great post!!! I also answered this question in my blog; it’s always worth to discover new perspectives in addressing the same problem.

I think that different portrayal of Coyote in different stories shows that he is, similarly to people, not almighty and have limitations in what he can do. In Robinson’s story he is not powerful enough to generate and put in effect the Indian’s law (Black and White) by himself. In King’s GGRW he is powerful to generate earth disasters, but he cannot control all the consequences of his actions. However, his intentions in both stories are the same – he wants to “fix the world” in order to help his people.

I wonder if you can see other similarities in representation of Coyote by Robinson and King?

Thank you,
    Joanne

• Hi Joanne,
      Thank you for your comments.

You bring up a great point about how regardless of the different portrayals of Coyote they both ultimately want to “help their people”. I think this shows Coyote’s loyalty whether Coyote is an agent or initiator of change.

Best,
      Jade 🙂

2. Hi Jade,
    I really enjoyed reading your post, I thought it was very insightful and showed a strong understanding of both stories, as well as a deeper understanding of the character that is Coyote. I even found myself learning and understanding more from your blog!
    I particularly enjoyed your analysis of Coyote being a malleable and changeable character, who is well known yet can take on many characteristics. I think this fits very well into our course, as we read about shifting perspectives, story-telling and changing narratives. I think that Coyote has proven to be, for me at least, a character who really ties First Nations and Western cultures together, and I have enjoyed reading both King and Robinsons different accounts of him in familiar stories, as you stated.
    My question for you is, do you think Coyote overall represents First Nations culture well? Coyote is often portrayed as a trickster, yet at the same time is portrayed as smart and cunning, so after reading these two stories and comparing them, do you think that Coyote is an asset to historical narratives to involve as a First Nations representative, or do you think a more defined character would be a better choice to portray the messages that King and Robinson, among others, attempt to literate?
    Looking forward to working with you more!
    All the best,
    Grace

• Hi Grace,
      Thank you for the thoughtful response.

I do not have a lot of background knowledge about the figure of the Coyote besides that Coyote often represents a trickster so I do not think I can answer whether Coyote is an asset to historical narratives. I will say that both Robinson and King’s different portrayals of Coyote highlight that Coyote is not limited to any particular portrayal. I like how these portrayals refuse stereotypes and take on multiple meanings that are not always easily understood.

Best,
      Jade 🙂

3. Hi Jade,

I really enjoyed reading your post, I especially liked that you finished it off with a question! What better way to start a dialogue 🙂
    I took an indigenous studies class last year at UBC Okanagan, and in class we touched on how there are many different stories of Coyote, and how each different First Nations group use the stories to explain their beliefs and histories. We watched a video of a TedTalk of an Indigenous storyteller (ill copy the link at the bottom), and in the video she tells another version of a story of Coyote. Her story is one of many, and it likely shares many similarities, and many differences, to other stories about Coyote.
    Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHW-ZQ1mNRU