Response to: Nine Things You Should Know About the PlayStation 4

http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2013/11/nine-things-you-should-know-about-the-playstation-4.html

In 2006, Sony released the PS3: a console that dramatically changed the way that the world gamed. It is now, 7 years later, that Sony has unveiled the PS4: a system that will radically change the way we game, again. With drastically improved graphics and an array of new capabilities, the PS4 is a truly innovative leap forward for Sony.

The “nine things you should know” included in this blog post seem to negatively portray the PS4 (I would guess that the blogger is probably an Microsoft supporter, just saying). This blogger criticizes the lack of backwards compatibility on the PS4, but what they fail to recognize, is the hardware handicaps that backwards compatibility creates. Incorporating the obsolete hardware that is used to read PS3 games is a costly and tedious task for Sony. In scrapping that old technology, Sony is able to include only the newest and most up-to-date technology in their new system, allowing them more freedom in the future.

This article also criticizes the price of the PS4, which I think is unwarranted. The PS3 costed $600 when it was originally released, the PS4 starts at $400… This price is a bargain! The blogger continues to say that it is still cheaper than the X-Box One, but it’s still too much. Having bought a PS3 when it was released at the lofty $600 price, perhaps I am biased for thinking that the $400 price tag is acceptable, but considering the vast improvements in the technology, I think the price is definitely justified.

Overall, I think the PS4 is a great new addition to the gaming console industry, and I can’t wait to get my hands one!

Response to Olivia Joe’s – Tide Pods: Conquering Marketing and Ethics

Tide Pods: Conquering Marketing & Ethics

As a user of tide pods, I enjoyed reading Olivia Joe’s post on the innovative little packs of detergent. Tide Pods took a product in the maturity phase of the product life cycle, laundry detergent, and marketed it as a new and innovative product successfully. While competitors were quick to mimic Tide’s new idea, Tide will always retain the first mover advantage, and the majority of the share in this sub-market in the laundry detergent industry.

As a university student living on my own, I am always looking for easier and more convenient ways of carrying out my weekly chores. These new little packs save me from lugging a big bottle of detergent, along with all of my dirty laundry, to the basement of my building where the laundry room is located. If I could offer one suggestion to Tide, I would say that marketing to students, and other people who do not have a laundry facility of there own would be a beneficial move. Vending tide pods in laundry facilities is another potential revenue-generating idea that could be beneficial to create new value for this very mature product.

Groupon Marketing Assignment: Reflective Post

Through the course of COMM 296 my group and I completed a comprehensive analysis on Groupon’s Marketing Strategies and provided recommendations to expand their current customer base. This assignment allowed my group to apply many of the concepts learned in class to a real company. All in all, I found the project interesting and the knowledge that I gained valuable. However, if given the chance to start this project over, I would likely do some things differently.

Establishing a project plan and mapping out goals early on is paramount. The absence of a project timeline leaves much uncertainty with regard to time, and the roles of each group member. Outlining who will do what, and setting deadlines for different portions of the project helps keep a group with 6 busy members organized. This would have alleviated some stress that my team faced as the project deadlines neared.

For me, this project stressed the importance of group diversity. Having a group made up of people from all over the world offered unique perspectives on many aspects of the assignment. For example, my Team member Eric, a transfer student from Paris, provided insight to Groupon’s role in the daily deals industry in France. This information was very helpful in the process of researching Groupon’s world-wide influence.

When I read that the final portion of the marketing assignment was to create a 5-7 minute video I was skeptical. I was expecting, as a business student often does, a final report and presentation. The blending of these 2 assignments into one video was an interesting way of wrapping up our project. Overall, I enjoyed writing, filming, and editing the video. My prior experience with this kind of media was non-existent, so the production of the video was a valuable experience. Would I rather have prepared a final report and presentation? Yes. However, I am glad that I had the chance to create a video, and I am proud of our team for the way the video turned out.

Does Offensive Marketing = Effective Marketing?

At the 2013 VMA’s (I think you know where this is going), our favourite Disney star Miley Cyrus performed a provocative dance to her song “We Can’t Stop.” In this video (CAUTION: Video contains explicitly terrible content), Miley is seen “twerking” on celebrity Robin Thicke, sticking her tongue out perhaps a few too many times, as well as performing some sexually alarming acts with a foam finger. All this begs the question: what’s the point?

In this article, Cyrus explains that the performance was expressing her new image, and that she wanted to “make history” like some other pop icons through history such as Britney Spears and Madonna. While this might sound reasonable, I am not quick to assume that these reasons were her only motive. While the public image of Miley Cyrus may not be positive, Cyrus has got the world talking about her. This idea of potentially benefiting form negative marketing is an issue where many people find themselves unsure if the method is in fact effective, or disastrous.

In this NY Times article, the idea of companies launching large campaigns to “push the envelope,” and gain huge followings on social media is discussed. While it can’t be argued that any publicity is good publicity, I think there exists a large grey area in what is right and wrong (or perhaps effective and ineffective) in advertising, and many companies are unsure of these limits.

With the exponential growth of social media in the past half decade, people are communicating more than ever, and have access to any content right at their fingertips. It is this ease of widespread advertising that makes marketers drool; hoping their next ad will be the next viral trend.

Perhaps this was Miley’s intention all along. It is clear to see that our little Disney princess is all grown up and has radically changed her image. Many critics claim Miley is foolish for so negatively portraying herself on the global stage – I disagree. While “making history” is a nice excuse, and potentially part of Cyrus’s reasoning for going through with the performance, I think Miley had ulterior motives that were much larger. Was this her plan all along? Have her and her publicist been mapping out the events that have unfolded in the past months? I think it’s likely.

Dunkin’ Donuts Went Black and Now They’re Going Back

A ‘blackfaced’ model appearing in a Dunkin’ Donuts ad campaign in Thailand has stirred up worldwide controversy for the coffee giant . In this video ad for the new charcoal donut, a model is shown covered in black paint; an image that some, particularly Americans, find offensive. (Print ad below)

While the American Branch of Dunkin’ Donuts immediately apologized for the ‘insensitive’ ad, CEO Nadim Salhani of Dunkin’ Donuts Thailand is saying, ‘so what?’ calling the opposition to the ad “paranoid American thinkers.” In this article, Salhani asks the question, “what if the product was white and I painted someone white? Would that be racist?”

In my opinion, the backlash that resulted from this campaign is ludicrous.  The ad does not contain any actual reference to black people or black culture, only a new charcoal donut – yet influential social rights groups such as Human Rights Watch are strongly opposing the campaign. The group’s deputy Asia Director Phil Robertson, speaking to the Associated Press, claimed in this article that, “It’s both bizarre and racist that Dunkin’ Donuts thinks that it must color a woman’s skin black and accentuate her lips with bright pink lipstick to sell a chocolate doughnut.” As far as I’m concerned, the only part of this ordeal that is ‘bizarre’ is that a charcoal donut marketing campaign became a racial matter.

While the apology on behalf of the American branch of Dunkin’ should be unnecessary, it’s a strategic move. Any media reports of American Dunkin’ Donuts being associated with racism – regardless of the company’s actual stance on racism – is a public relations catastrophe.

It is unfortunate that the critics of this campaign are narrow-minded and can not let go of the archaic connotations of blackface. It is this type of antiquated thinking that will allow racism to remain prevalent in society. Morgan Freeman sums it up best in this interview: when asked how he thinks we should put a stop to racism, he replies “stop talking about it.”

The Demise of Primetime Television

Television broadcast networks are finding it harder than ever to bring in viewers. Broadcast television has become a sluggish and inefficient method of entertainment, and decreased viewership has led to increased marketing for television programs. With the fall television season growing near, broadcasters are doing all that they can to market their upcoming premieres.

According to an article written by Bill Carter of the New York Times, “The broadcast networks have been challenged by a continuing decline in their ratings and because competition for leisure time is everywhere.” While this may be true, the 2013 Emmy awards brought in 17 million viewers – the most since 2005. These TV networks may not be thriving, but the love for television programs is strong.

Rather than a competition with other leisurely activities, these broadcasters face an even fiercer competitor: digital media. Digital media sites such as Netflix have dramatically changed the way that viewers access content. The ease of access to online television streams or digital downloads allow virtually anyone with internet access to tune in – a much more convenient option than planning one’s night around an 8-o-clock program.

In this speech Kevin Spacey discusses his role in the Netflix original series “House of Cards” and why the ‘Netflix Model’ of an entire season release all at once is successful and cost-effective in comparison to the ‘Pilot Model’, which is used by all major broadcasters. Spacey discusses the idea of giving the viewer the control, and the positive effect that it will have on the television industry.

This shift from broadcast television to digital media poses an interesting challenge to marketers: How can companies market to viewers when companies like Netflix refuse to allow advertisers access to their millions of viewers?

The network giants must recognize the threats that companies such as Netflix impose, but also must identify the opportunities that come along with the growth of digital media. Perhaps the “Netflix Model” is unrealistic for a reality or contest show airing on primetime every week, but unless these broadcasting giants find a way to diversify the way that their viewers access their content, they will surely experience decreased viewership in the near future.

Microsoft Adopts Apple’s Retail Strategy

Apple retail stores offer more than just products; they offer an experience. Spread throughout the globe, Apple has successfully developed a massive network of stylish and modern stores, situated in such places as Grand Central Station and the Louvre. Obviously competitors would catch on to this success and get in on the opportunity.

Microsoft has just opened its first canadian retail store in Toronto Yorkdale Mall, and surprisingly enough, this store has striking similarities to Apple’s style of store – interactive displays, modern style furnishings, and a substantial amount of employees. The Globe and Mail reports that after Apple’s worldwide success, “Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd.– perhaps Apple’s biggest competitor in the mobile space – has also taken similar steps”. Also, Colin Gillis, senior technology analyst for BGC Financial states “I’m just waiting for the Google store”.

It seems that the revolution of online shopping can only go so far. Customers still, and will always, want to test the products for themselves and they must go in store to do that. Furthermore, the Retail Strategy adopted by Apple seems to be the example for which all large technological companies are basing their strategy off of. It is evident that Microsoft has seen success in this adopting of ideas after the successful opening weekend of its Yorkdale store; but is it all just hype? Will this marketing strategy greatly benefit Microsoft? Only time will tell.

Does BC Hydro Really Want Us To Be “Power Smart”?

Energy Aware; Will It Ever Come TO BC?

In my fellow classmate Madeleine Marshall’s blog “Energy Aware; Will It Ever Come To BC?” she asks the interesting question; whether BC Hydro will adopt the new Energy Aware tablet or not.

Energy Aware is a tablet that displays how much energy a household is currently consuming and has been proven to decrease average household power usage by 20% – a significant number. With the implementation of BC Hydro’s smart meter technology it seems that these products could be integrated to allow for consumers to easily monitor their usage and likely conserve energy.

With the 20% decrease in average power usage, it is obvious that BC Hydro will see a decrease in revenue, but will this be seen as secondary to its public intentions of being “power smart”? I think yes; BC Hydro is a sustainable and efficient company that has encouraged conservation for years. These intentions seem genuine and this product could largely contribute to the long-term goals of the company.

Madeleine put into question BC Hydro’s legitimacy, and whether BC Hydro was simply in the business for making money and would put profits ahead of this energy-saving idea. BC Hydro is very much invested in sustainable business practices, and with the introduction of this new tablet in the industry, basing off of BC Hydro’s extensive past of conservation and efficiency, BC Hydro’s intentions are legitimate. Even if it is not through the use of this tablet specifically, BC Hydro will use the new smart meter technology to help reduce the power consumption of its users.

Sustainable China. Oxymoron?

Growing Economies Will Lead to an Over-exploitation of Natural Resources

In my fellow classmate Matt Jorgenson’s blog post “Growing Economies Will Lead to an Over-expolitation of Natural Resources” he raises the interesting question: is it ethical to do whatever it takes in order to further your countries economic power? Although this question has many components and considerations, I strongly believe that environmental exploitation for economic growth is unethical.

Matt makes comparison’s to China’s heavy coal usage, and with the increasing price of coal, an energy alternative will be required in the future. It is clear that China has not practiced sustainability in the past, and so with the transferring to a different form of energy, the time is perfect to switch to a greener alternative.

It is obvious that I am coming from a completely idealistic perspective if I were to assume that a “capitalist” nation like China would change to cleaner energy just because, as assuming any nation to do that would be unrealistic. And from the previous basis it is assumed that all capitalist endeavours without regard to environmental degradation is unethical. Understanding the idealism is key, as a vast nation such as China or the USA cannot simply change their energy sources with the snap of a finger, it takes much time and investment, therefore we cannot call these nations “unethical” at this moment. We can however, call them unethical if they are not making strides to improve their sources of power to more sustainable options.

China has seen and is still seeing massive economic growth through unethical business practices in many aspects. If sustainability is ever to succeed and see positive effects on the Earth large nations like China are going to have to get on board and help the cause.

Has Apple Monopolized the Smartphone Industry?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/blog/2012/aug/28/apple-samsung-windows-phone-nokia

Since the release of iPhone in 2008, iPhone has become the most popular smartphone in the world with an intimidating consumer base. Being the first in the market, Apple has always had the trendsetter advantage, and has always used this advantage to retain its large consumer base.

After winning the lawsuit against Samsung regarding design copyright, Apple has unearthed a new competitor claiming: “Not every smartphone needs to look like an iPhone”. The windows operating system running on several Nokia and Sony devices is critically praised and offer several new features that Apple has not, such as the integration of Microsoft Word, Excel, and other applications.

If the Windows phone is to succeed, it must differentiate itself from Apple and offer new features that Apple has not yet released in its devices. A competitive edge of Apple is the ease of compatibility between the iPhone, iPad, and Macs – “iCloud” (the wireless connector of these three devices) has indirectly encouraged every Apple user to buy all Apple products. Therefore why would a Mac owner purchase a Windows Phone? Is the entire demographic of Mac users now eliminated from the potential customer base?

For Windows (or any competitor) to succeed in its smartphone endeavours it must understand Apple’s clear advantage and develop a product entirely new and innovative.