Sustainable China. Oxymoron?

Growing Economies Will Lead to an Over-exploitation of Natural Resources

In my fellow classmate Matt Jorgenson’s blog post “Growing Economies Will Lead to an Over-expolitation of Natural Resources” he raises the interesting question: is it ethical to do whatever it takes in order to further your countries economic power? Although this question has many components and considerations, I strongly believe that environmental exploitation for economic growth is unethical.

Matt makes comparison’s to China’s heavy coal usage, and with the increasing price of coal, an energy alternative will be required in the future. It is clear that China has not practiced sustainability in the past, and so with the transferring to a different form of energy, the time is perfect to switch to a greener alternative.

It is obvious that I am coming from a completely idealistic perspective if I were to assume that a “capitalist” nation like China would change to cleaner energy just because, as assuming any nation to do that would be unrealistic. And from the previous basis it is assumed that all capitalist endeavours without regard to environmental degradation is unethical. Understanding the idealism is key, as a vast nation such as China or the USA cannot simply change their energy sources with the snap of a finger, it takes much time and investment, therefore we cannot call these nations “unethical” at this moment. We can however, call them unethical if they are not making strides to improve their sources of power to more sustainable options.

China has seen and is still seeing massive economic growth through unethical business practices in many aspects. If sustainability is ever to succeed and see positive effects on the Earth large nations like China are going to have to get on board and help the cause.