Uncle Sam Turns the Lights Off

The recent U.S government shutdown is now affecting businesses. With the current situation where the government will need to let go of 3,000 employees, the problem continues as the Penny Pritzker, US Commerce Secretary had just stated that more workers will need to be let go for the government to be running again. And this not only affects the US, as it is starting to affect others business. With the current situation, businesses are in the U.S can potentially go into bankruptcy, and individuals who were planning o start business could have no chance of starting them now.

Personally, this has not affected me personally just yet, however it made me think about my opportunities. If I were to graduate and decide to work. Should I be willing to work in the U.S? This is an important question as if the current situation in the U.S starts to worsen, working or even having a business in the U.S could potentially lead to negative consequences for me as an individual as the U.S is currently economically unstable. My question now is, is it worth it to work in the US, and will it be economically safe for me in the future?

Word Count: 198 Words

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24419564

Bye Bye Blackberry

A few years ago, in my home country of Indonesia, I eagerly waited in the store to get my first ever Blackberry. Blackberries were considered the phone to get in my country, as everyone I knew had one. After obtaining my first Blackberry, I instantly became in love with it, and used it for 3 years. As time progressed I realized that Blackberries started to become less useful as newer phones such as the iPhone and Androids were quickly becoming more popular. Blackberry didn’t seem to be able to compete with these phones and I made the switch. I guess I wasn’t the only one who decided to do this.

Blackberry had just experienced a 965 million dollar lost due to poor sales of their new Z10 as they had overestimated the amount of phones that they would be selling. Furthermore they had to let go of 4,500 jobs to compensate for this lost and are also deciding to sell their company to their biggest shareholder. It seems that Blackberry is no longer the desirably phone that everyone wanted, due to their inefficiency to compete with their competitors. Thus in the end, resulting in their fall.

Word Count: 196

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24302139