Walmart’s E-Commerce Initiative

An example of a firm’s attempt to climb the industry ladder, Walmart has been trying to gain strength in the e-commerce market through efforts such as “building a series of fulfilment centers for online orders” and concentrating resources on mobile app development. However, Walmart faces significant obstacles, in particular, competition from a current industry leader – Amazon.

According to an article by Business Insider, despite Walmart’s aggressive new initiatives including “recruiting Silicon Valley talent, acquiring start-ups, pouring money into its mobile app and improving its search engine”Amazon’s online sales still outnumber Walmart’s by $53.3 million.

Similar to the situation in this week’s lecture, Walmart, as a newer entrant to the industry, faces barriers to making a name for itself in e-commerce because of the brand Amazon already established for itself. Instead of finding another area to dominate, Walmart is competing with a company already well-known for e-commerce.

Thus, there is difficulty in getting consumers to associate Walmart with e-commerce. As mentioned earlier, Walmart is pouring substantial resources into the e-commerce sector however these do not seem to be very effective when compared to Amazon’s success and may end up increasing Walmart’s costs given the amount of resources used in this venture.

1. am speechless. It is a unbelievable weblog and very partaking too. Great work! That’s probably not a lot coming from an beginner blogger like me, but it’s all I may assume after having fun with your posts. Nice grammar and vocabulary. Not like different blogs. You actually know what you are speaking about too. So much that you made me want to learn more. Your blog has turn into a stepping stone for me, my fellow blogger. Thank you for the detailed journey. I actually enjoyed the 6 posts that I have learned so far.