Changing the Distribution Channels

After reading Clayton’s post,I started thinking more about distribution channels and began to apply it to the food system. As Clayton says, nowadays, a product that a consumer has purchased has most likely traveled for a great distance, constantly being traded off through multiple different means of transportation. Clearly, a complex distribution channel can build up a high mark-up for the final consumer, as well as increase the amount of pollution in the environment.

Something that interests me is trying to promote the purchase of local food, and improve the ability of obtaining it. Currently, food that is being transported from large distances “emits a variety of toxic chemicals that contribute to air pollution, acid rain, and climate change.” On the other side, local food distribution systems reduce the environmental impact and promote local farmer’s, in turn, adding value to the economy in the city one lives in. By also buying locally, less money has to be put in to damaging our health and using preservatives to make sure that the produce stays appealing until it reaches the final consumer.

I believe that there is a lot of work that needs to be done in tweaking the distribution channels, not only for food, but to make sure that we are promoting local producers and removing complex distribution systems.

Site quoted: http://www.getlocalbc.org/