Monthly Archives: February 2015

3:1 Within and Beyond the Pale

3 ] Frye writes: A much more complicated cultural tension [more than two languages] arises from the impact of the sophisticated on the primitive, and vice a versa. The most dramatic example, and one I have given elsewhere, is that of Duncan Campbell Scott, working in the department of Indian Affairs in Ottawa. He writes of a starving squaw baiting a fish-hook with her own flesh, and he writes of the music of Debussy and the poetry of Henry Vaughan. In English literature we have to go back to Anglo-Saxon times to encounter so incongruous a collision of cultures (Bush Garden 221). It is interesting, and telling of literary criticism at the time, that while Frye lights on this duality in Scott’s work, or tension between “primitive and civilized” representations; however, the fact that Scott wrote poetry romanticizing the “vanishing Indians” and wrote policies aimed at the destruction of Indigenous culture and Indigenous people – as a distinct people, is never brought to light. In 1924, in his role as the most powerful bureaucrat in the department of Indian Affairs, Scott wrote:

The policy of the Dominion has always been to protect Indians, to guard their identity as a race and at the same time to apply methods, which will destroy that identity and lead eventually to their disappearance as a separate division of the population (In Chapter, 23).

For this blog assignment, I would like you to explain why it is that Scott’s highly active role in the purposeful destruction of Indigenous people’s cultures is not relevant for Frye in his observations above? You will find your answers in Frye’s discussion on the problem of ‘historical bias’ (216) and in his theory of the forms of literature as closed systems (234 –5).

To illustrate why Frye is not concerned with Duncan Campbell Scott’s active role in the destruction of Indigenous people’s cultures, I want to highlight some key points from his conclusion. In Frye’s conclusion, he situates work early in the literary history of Canada. Frye states that “Literature is conscious mythology: as society develops, its mythical stories become structural principles of story-telling” (234). However, Frye states that “the Canadian literary mind, beginning as it did so late in the cultural history of the West, was established on a basis, not of myth, but of history” (233). The mythical was actually “prehistoric … and the writer had to attach himself to his literary tradition deliberately and voluntarily” (235).

According to Frye, “Indians, like the rest of the country, were seen as nineteenth-century literary conventions” and so it is no wonder that Frye does not criticize Scott because he supposedly did as any other late nineteenth century or early twentieth century writer would have done – adhere to the literary tradition. Scott’s writing belonged to the “garrison mentality” that Frye speaks of which “begins as an expression of the moral values generally accepted in the group as a whole” (233). Frye also asserts that “Earlier Canadian writers were certain of their moral values: right was white, wrong black, and nothing else counted or even existed” (228). Therefore, Scott viewed the “Indians” as “primitive”, (notice the use of the derogatory term “squaw”) and fitting the convention of the vanishing Indian. Frye ignores this problematic view because it is just a part of the garrison mentality’s development. Frye believes that he garrison mentality will evolve to attack these conventional standards and perhaps Scott’s writing based on history will itself become a myth which Canadian literature can choose to draw from. However, since Scott belonged in a time of early Canadian literary history, to find oneself out of the garrison would have been terrifying and so his racist writing can be excused in this theory. Furthermore, Frye attempts to highlight the clash of cultures and the tension in the use of language between the sophisticated and the primitive. Frye says that to “encounter so incongruous a collision of cultures” (221), one must go back to the beginning of the English literary tradition in the Anglo-Saxon times. Therefore, this tension in Scott’s work is implied to be characteristic of a literary tradition that is just developing and so Scott’s problematic thinking is again excused.

Although Scott’s policies of destruction are not relevant in Frye’s discussion, I think that it is dangerous to theorize early Canadian Literature in the way Frye has. The CanLit Guides discusses attempts to “revive Scott’s reputation” (n.pag.) with regards to his nature poetry. However, the guide reminds us that: “it is important to remember that the beauty of a poet’s expression is itself an ideological tool. Sometimes saying racist things in poetic ways makes them seem all the more true and, in turn, make race seem that much more real” (n.pag.). If Scott’s description of the primitiveness of the “squaw” fishing with her own flesh can be regarded as poetic and allowed under Frye’s literary theory, then the myth of the ‘vanishing Indian’ is still perpetuated.

I always enjoy reading Armand Garnet Ruffo’s “Poem for Duncan Campbell Scott”. The last few lines of the poem demonstrate how Scott’s poetry and literary theory that attempts to justify or excuse racism simply gives it a platform to continue to exist: “Him,/ he calls it poetry/ and says it will make us who are doomed/ live forever.”

Frye states: “If evaluation is one’s guiding principle, criticism of Canadian literature would become only a debunking project, leaving it a poor naked alouette plucked of every feather of decency and dignity” (215). I would like to ask my readers what they think of this statement. Should we pluck the alouette if it was never decent to begin with or should we just let it fly away?

“Duncan Campbell Scott.” CanLit Guides. Canadian Literature, 5 Nov. 2013. Web. 26 Feb. 2015.

Frye, Northrop. “The Bush Garden: Essays on the Canadian Imagination.” Concord: House of Anansi. 215-253. Print.

Ruffo, Armand Garnet. “Poem for Duncan Campbell Scott.” Canadian Poetry Online. University of Toronto. n.d. Web. 26 Feb. 2015.

2:3 The Tiger that does not Sleep

3] In order to address this question you will need to refer to Sparke’s article, “A Map that Roared and an Original Atlas: Canada, Cartography, and the Narration of Nation.” You can easily find this article online. Read the section titled: “Contrapuntal Cartographies” (468 – 470). Write a blog that explains Sparke’s analysis of what Judge McEachern might have meant by this statement: “We’ll call this the map that roared.”

The map that the Gitxsan and Wet’suwet’en people presented in Delgamuukw v British Columbia was sarcastically called “the map that roared” by Judge McEachern. This map was an attempt by the Gitxsan and Wet’suwet’en people to “outline their own sovereignty in a way the Canadian court might understand”(Sparke 468) so that their title and rights to land would be recognized. Although McEachern did not rule in favour of the Aboriginal groups, as Sparke argues in his article, the map “roared” in more ways than one and is part of a challenge against Western cartography known as counter-mapping.

McEachern dismissed the map as a “paper tiger” in that the map’s bark was bigger than its bite. After all, in the Western and colonialist view, Indigenous cartographies were anachronistic, their legitimacy long extinguished (if it ever existed), and so the judge could not understand this map. I believe that the judge may have held the view that this map was too “primitive” and thus ascribed an animalistic characteristic to the map, one that an ‘advanced’ being as he would not be able to comprehend. But in fact, Western cartography is prolepetic, projecting the future on to the past which just does not make any sense. Therefore, not only does this map roar against the forms of colonialism Sparke outlines such as orientation systems, property lines, pipelines, etc.; the map also roars of its own existence before colonialism and its existence in the present. Just because Western cartography may be seen as the standard does not mean that Indigenous ideas of land and place cease to exist. The hybrid nature of the Gitxsan and Wet’suwet’en’s map show that Indigenous ideas of cartography can be fluid and incorporate other cartographies. On the other hand, Western cartography is rigid in time and space and hence limited.

Sparke also mentions that McEachern unconsciously recognized Gitxsan and Wet’suwet’en “agency and territorial survival” (470) by saying that this map roared. This agency is also expressed in how the map finds the intersections between Indigenous and Western cartography. The two do not need to be separate and it is high time that the government and the public recognized that. In the article about counter-mapping I have hyperlinked, it mentions innovative ways of doing cartography that is based on this hybrid nature. The map and what it represents has never stopped roaring and with these new types of cartography, the roaring of the land that we all live on can hopefully be understood by everyone.

Louis, Renee Pualani, Jay T. Johnson, Albertus Hadi Pramono. “Introduction: Indigenous Cartographies and Counter-Mapping.” Cartographica 47:2 (2012): 77-79. Web. 13 Feb. 2015.

Sparke, Matthew. “A Map that Roared and an Original Atlas: Canada, Cartography, and the Narration of Nation.” Annals of the Association of American Geographers 88.3 (1998): 463-95. Web. 13 Feb. 2015.

2:2 The Danger of Assumptions

We began this unit by discussing assumptions and differences that we carry into our class. In “First Contact as Spiritual Performance,” Lutz makes an assumption about his readers (Lutz, “First Contact” 32). He asks us to begin with the assumption that comprehending the performances of the Indigenous participants is “one of the most obvious difficulties.” He explains that this is so because “one must of necessity enter a world that is distant in time and alien in culture, attempting to perceive indigenous performance through their eyes as well as those of the Europeans.” Here, Lutz is assuming either that his readers belong to the European tradition, or he is assuming that it is more difficult for a European to understand Indigenous performances – than the other way around. What do you make of this reading? Am I being fair when I point to this assumption? If so, is Lutz being fair when he makes this assumption?

I believe that Lutz’s statement about entering “into a world that is distant in time and alien in culture” unintentionally plays on the discourse of “us” versus “them”. The performances of the Aboriginal peoples are based on stories that they may already have. From Wickwire’s introduction in Living by Stories, the stories Harry Robinson tell are not necessarily distant in time. He includes stories about the recent past and also includes objects that are usually associated with European culture such as guns. Therefore, I think that posing the difficulty of comprehending Indigenous performances in this way categorizes Aboriginal peoples as ‘other’. Certainly, there are always problems in interpreting stories. From Dr. Paterson’s blog on first stories, it is evident that sometimes it is difficult to ascribe meaningfulness to the story when the ceremony of telling it has been lost, and translating and collecting stories present their own issues. However, the performances of Indigenous participants in ‘First Contact’ need not be situated as so far away in a way that suggests primitiveness.

Since Lutz’s paper seems to suggest the divide between the European tradition and Indigenous tradition, I think that Dr. Paterson is fair when she highlights the assumption that Lutz makes about his readers belonging to an European tradition. I can see this creating two problems (please comment if you can think of any more). First, that because someone might belong to the European tradition, it gives them a crutch when they say that they cannot understand Indigenous performances and stories and thus interpret them incorrectly. Then, Indigenous stories may be highly spiritualized through myths, in contrast to the European tradition of a spirituality that is backed by science. For example, this Historica Minutes of the Peacemaker presents the Aboriginal peoples as highly spiritual and even bordering on the occult. But this interpretation is problematic in that if Aboriginal peoples strayed away from the spiritual, then they could be violent. Second, Lutz does not consider readers of non-European traditions. Does this mean then that they do not need to engage in learning to understand and interpret Indigenous stories in order to see the intersections of various cultures? From my own personal experience, I feel like as an Asian-Canadian, many other Asian-Canadians and my own family do not really have much interest in the issues of Aboriginal peoples. We may not belong to the European tradition but it is easy to see how the European/colonialist view is so dominant that we can just follow it as well. In school, I always perceived Aboriginal peoples to be violent, savage, feather-wearing, etc. because that is the idea that was taught. So that shaped how I viewed Indigenous stories as just myths and untrue. I’m really glad that this course and so many others I have taken at UBC are helping me to be more sensitive and informed about Aboriginal stories.

Speaking of non-European tradition, I would just like to mention the TV series Fresh Off the Boat. It seems that a lot of people are raving that finally, after so long, a show about an Asian-American family is finally airing. After years of Asian families not being able to relate completely to European/White families on TV, many Asians are happy that their family life is being represented on TV. But I do not know of any TV shows where an Aboriginal family is featured. If anyone knows of any, please comment! I hope that as we learn more about first stories and the assumptions and differences we all have, we are able to better understand all of the stories that we encounter without seeing them as ‘other’.

Historica Canada. “Peacemaker.” Online video clip. Youtube. Youtube, 11 Sept. 2014. Web. 5 Feb. 2015.

Jung, E. Alex, “Watching Fresh Off the Boat with 999 Asian-Americans.” Vulture. 5 Feb. 2015. Web. 5 Feb. 2015.

h-o-m-e

What our homes have in common:

• Sharing stories (just like how we are now)
  • Place of trust and comfort
  • Place to overcome obstacles together
  • Place we can return to
  • Our family that supports us, bears with us, makes sacrifices for us
  • We have opportunities to grow and learn from our experiences
  • Shared warmth of home and family
  • Where we go to in times of need/trouble
  • Shaped geographically (is our home far away from others, far away from where we are now?)

For this assignment, I read four of my colleagues’ blogs:

Florence’s, Jeff’s, Leana’s, and Shamina’s. Along with my own blog post, I really got the sense that home is a place of safety, trust, and comfort. We know that we can go to our families, who are a part of home, and the physical home itself to look for these three things. In Shamina’s and Leana’s blogs, they share different experiences of their family supporting them. Though she was eager to get away from home, Shamina still felt the care of her mother from far away. Leana’s mother worked from home to take care of her children and along with Leana’s father helped her brother out of a scary situation. These speaks of how family is integral to the concept of home. Jeff points out that

“Home is a place that values … helping with obstacles along the way”. As we grow up, we find that home is where we have had a lot of learning experiences. Our family has also been an important part of shaping our character and as Florence says, “home is directly involved in our history”.

Geography also influences how we think of home. For Florence who has lived in three different places, she takes Vancouver to be home. As for Shamina and me, we both think of home as living on residence and where we are originally from. Home is able to transcend geographical borders and we are able to take home with us wherever we go.

Interestingly, Florence, Jeff, and Shamina all shared the same music videos. Phillip Phillips’ “Home” and Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeros’ “Home” were featured in their blogs. These types of songs resonant with people because they can be interpreted to whatever home means to someone.

In general, I believe that the four blogs I have shared on here (as well as my own) take a positive view on what home is. Even though there may be struggles and negative situations at home sometimes, we work to make home a happy and secure place.

Kallu, Shamina. “Home is Wherever I’m With You.” WordPress. 30 Jan. 2015. Web. 1 Feb. 2015.

Lemon, Leana. “How to Save Your House.” WordPress. 30 Jan. 2015. Web. 1 Feb. 2015.

Liu, Jeff. “‘Cause I’m Gonna Make This Place Your Home’.” WordPress. 29 Jan. 2015. Web. 1 Feb. 2015.

Ng, Florence. “Home is a Pie Chart and a Couple of Memories.” WordPress. 31 Jan. 2015. Web. 1 Feb. 2015.