Literature in Canada 2.0

A Story

Posted by in Assignment 1.3

You’ll never believe what happened. Well, you might after I tell you the story. It’s a rough one. I haven’t opened up about this to many people. Okay, here I go. Have I ever mentioned Margaret to you before? No? Okay. Well she was my neighbour and died. She was thirteen, a freshman in high school and at the time I was a couple years older, a senior, which made us unlikely friends even though we grew up together. She suffered from cystic fibrosis. She knew this ever since she…read more

1

Assignment 1.2

Posted by in Assignment 1.2

At the beginning of this lesson I pointed to the idea that technological advances in communication tools have been part of the impetus to rethink the divisive and hierarchical categorizing of literature and orality, and suggested that this is happening for a number of reasons.  I’d like you to consider two aspects of digital literature: 1) social media tools that enable widespread publication, without publishers, and 2) Hypertext, which is the name for the text that lies beyond the text you are reading, until you click. How do you think…read more

5

Literature in Canada 2.0

Posted by in Assignment 1.1

Hello! Welcome to my English 470: Our Home and Native Land blog. My name is Jessica and this will be my second time in Dr. Paterson’s class, the first was in my second year where I had the pleasure of taking English 222: Literature in Canada. What drew me to this course is the unique ability to contribute comments to the class anytime via blog entries or Facebook discussion. A bit about me: I am a fourth year English Lit major and Art History minor student. I have lived…read more

3