Literature in Canada 2.0

Posted by in Assignment 1.1

A surrounding of mine during the Winter Break that was aesthetically pleasing.

Hello! Welcome to my English 470: Our Home and Native Land blog. My name is Jessica and this will be my second time in Dr. Paterson’s class, the first was in my second year where I had the pleasure of taking English 222: Literature in Canada. What drew me to this course is the unique ability to contribute comments to the class anytime via blog entries or Facebook discussion.

A bit about me: I am a fourth year English Lit major and Art History minor student. I have lived in Vancouver basically all my life and grew up on the North Shore. As I discovered in my earlier CanLit course, I didn’t really know much about Canadian literature other than the fact that I generally didn’t enjoy it. This has since changed and I have embraced more literary options that bear a tiny red maple leaf on the spine in a community library. I like reading, writing, and looking at things (vague, I know but “things” encapsulates the problematic term “art” and additionally applies to Buzzfeed, HBO, and surroundings). I have been working full-time as a custom picture framer (yes, it’s a weird job) for the past 20ish months in addition to school because it is fun and I get to look at a lot of “things”. Fingers crossed that I am able to post as frequently as I would like.

What I am looking forward to exploring further is the idea that Canadian literature is often bound with the experience of being in Canada. Whether it be tales of exploration and depictions of the land (this was my initial impression of “Canadian” literature), stories of immigration, dystopian futures, novels unofficially referencing the city of Vancouver, or First Nations impacts (impacted upon and consequent reactions), I have loosely formulated the perception that the CanLit “canon” is coherent only to the point that its products are inspired by something to do with being here… in Canada. This seems like an obvious definition to me now as I edit this post but I hope to work on it as the course progresses.

Esposito, Brad. “18 Signs You’re the Youngest Person in the Office.” BuzzFeed. 7 Jan. 2014. Web. 10 Jan. 2014. <http://www.buzzfeed.com/bradesposito/signs-youre-the-youngest-person-in-the-office>.

Taylor, Timothy. “The Blue Light Project.” The Blue Light Project. 25 Mar. 2011. Web. 10 Jan. 2014. <http://www.timothytaylor.ca/books/blue-light-project>.