Professional Experience

Before endeavouring in the Teacher Education Program at the University of British Columbia, I spent a number of years working for Apple, Inc as a trainer for both internal and external customers. What working with Apple taught me is the importance of creating connections with your students, copious amounts of planning, and continually striving for collective development.

Apple Shirt (1)

Trainer at Apple Inc, July 2009 to May 2013

As a trainer, or “Creative” with Apple, I worked in a post-sales role educating customers on how to use their Apple products. These training sessions were conducted in one on one and group training environments. Working with clients from ages 8-80, I taught a range of skills to diverse students. My day was ever changing– in the morning I could have helped a senior learn how to use a computer for the first time, then work with a teenager who was making a presentation, followed by giving photo tips to a photographyprofessional.

In this role I built strong relationships with my clients so that they wanted to engage with their products and learn more about them. While with the company, I maintained a net promoter score of over 95% client satisfaction.

In addition to training external clients, I trained our internal employees how to use software and technology in a way that was beneficial to them, so that they could better use the products they were interacting with on a daily basis.

In-Store Guest Trainer at Apple Inc, May 2012 to May 2013 

As an In-Store Guest Trainer with Apple, I was responsible for training employees within our market. Some examples of training that I executed were: new employee on boarding, technical training, product launch training, and business training.

One training that I am most proud of was the iPhone 5 launch. Since Apple is such a secretive company, the employees do not even know when a product is launching– we find out with everyone else. In my role, I had a week from the product announcement to the product launch to train our store of 150 employees on the product, as well as the plans that go along with the product. Within the day I had created I training execution plan, curriculum, and schedule of when each employee would attend their training session. With ease, we were able to provide training to every employee, and had an incredibly successful product launch at the Metrotown location. The key to the success of this launch was my preparedness, passion, and commitment to make sure my team was setup for success.

In addition to providing training, I also helped to foster a community of continuous learning and development in a busy environment, and making personal connections with my co-workers. Also, I partnered with the Market and Store Leader to evaluate training progress and results, as well as collaborated and shared training strategies with other trainers across Canada to ensure consistent training between stores.