Posted by: | 14th Nov, 2011

Mothers In the Work Environment

Recently, I came across a blog which discussed a topic that interested me. The author of the blog entry was arguing an issue that is important in the work environment: “Should being a stay-at-home mom be considered work experience?”  I found this interesting because I have always thought that the job of a mother is just as important as any other job, if not more important. Even though “the work environment for stay-at-home moms (or dads, for that matter) is different than for paid employment”, I still believe that the jobs in being a mother are greatly related to characteristics required for working in a paid employment as well. For example, according to the post, the author once met a mother who stated that she would make a great candidate for a job because she “needed great organizational skills to be a stay-at-home mom [and had] the ability to prioritize; she worked well under pressure, and she worked long hours with no pay.” I find this to be absolutely correct because mothers work under just as much pressure as any other employee in the workforce. What is so different about a job at home compared to a job in the office when the skills needed to take on different tasks are closely, if not exactly, the same? Even though the author states that “when it comes to the work world, having been called ‘mom’ for most of your career seems not to cut it”, I believe that mothers contribute greatly and are just as important in the workforce . Where would all the successful employees be without their mothers anyways?

Image from: http://www.123rf.com/photo_10427320_cartoon-of-busy-housewife-at-kitchen-sink.html

Leave a response

Your response: