Stepping outside the Kindergarten Classroom!

This week I was a risk-taker. I went above and beyond the safety of Kindergarten and into the world of intermediate! It was different not having to button up jackets, tie up shoelaces, or teach the ABC’s, but it was a pleasure to try something new and observe an IB candidate school in action!

10917632_10153088950130962_773827702_n

I had the benefit of viewing the beginning of a new unit of inquiry in Grade Five with the transdisciplinary theme of: who we are. The lesson started with students thinking individually on what systems they thought were part of the human body. Students then engaged in both small group and whole class discussions. Lastly, everyone created a thought of wonder to put on the wonder wall. As I walked around the classroom, I witnessed transdisciplinary skills in action such as social, communication and self-management skills. There was a buzz of engagement in the classroom as the students were immersed in listening, speaking and debating with one another. This lesson confirmed the importance of implementing transdisciplinary skills into the majority of lessons we teach.

body systems

I was amazed at how many answers the students revealed without any prior lessons on the topic. I even observed students resolving conflict as I heard one student say, “there is no wrong answer.” This activity was student-led and when the teacher generated the group informal debate it was the students’ questions and answers that drove the discussion. Students even made connections and links between human body systems. I did notice that some voices dominated small group discussions therefore, I am curious as to what strategies one could implement to encourage more of a balance? Overall, this lesson stimulated fantastic questioning, discussions and collaboration among classmates and I was glad I could witness the wonderment of children at this age!

attitudes wonder wall    learner profile attributes

This entry was posted in IB Posts. Bookmark the permalink.