Kickstarter Phase 2… The 10 Year Hoodie

I’m in a bit of a kickstarter phase if you haven’t noticed… But in my opinion that’s where all the cool stuff is popping up these days šŸ˜€

First, here’s a video:

This hoodie looks amazing in my opinion.

Some environmental pluses to think about in this video:

• It’s sweatshop free and made in America, which also cuts on the transportation costs inĀ comparisonĀ to those made in China
  • Planned obsolescence, something we’ve talked about in class. It is when manufacturers and companies engineer products to break after a certain point. For example, batteries on cell phones which only have a set number of charges on them (cough*iphone*cough).

This “made to last” concept is not new however, but it is a growing trend. Other products before it include the “7 year pen” which you can find at Chapters/Indigo.

Tinder and Flint see this sweatshirt as a stand against large manufacturers and while being environmentally friendly isn’t their motive it acts like the third button. Their call to action is specifically for people who are tired of cheaply made goods which reason to exist is to break so you can go ahead and buy a new one. In doing this, they are reducing consumption at the cost of their own profits and helping to reduce consumer waste.

Although I personally don’t see many people sending their hoodies back, the idea is interesting and with all the work they put into the clothing and their promise, customers can feel more secure buying this hoodie rather than a $40 one from American Apparel.