Longitudinal Creativity

I didn’t get to read the whole thing, but the part that struck me about idea generation was how they wanted to encourage divergent thinking. I can see why having multiple ideas is good and would try to encourage it in my students by asking them “How many ways can you solve this?” rather than simply “How can this be solved?”

I think in my own creative process I like to have one idea that I get very passionate about. I feel concern that this energy could be reduced if I shifted my focus from the eureka moment to multiple eureka moments. Maybe I would just need to enjoy each one. I wonder if my students would feel the same concern?

Other points that were brought up in class included the flipped classroom, and collaboration. I am going to read this in its entirety over the break.

Kelly, R., (2008). “Longitudinal Creativity: Understanding the Growth and Development of Ideas in an Educational Setting,” In Creative Expression Creative Education (pp. 21 -33) Edited by Robert Kelly and Carl Leggo, Calgary: Detselig Enterprise Ltd.