Link #2 Manual Scripts

Sage Capgreco’s post on manual scripts resonated with me.  https://blogs.ubc.ca/etec540sagecapogreco/2022/06/11/task-4-manual-scripts/

I chose to do potato printing for this task, while she chose to manually write a script. I agree with her thoughts on why she chose to move from manual writing to predominantly digital writing; the ease with which to correct mistakes or edit work, the ability to effortlessly save work/thoughts, and the insurance that my writing is legible! Even as I type this post, I have my eyes closed while I collect my thoughts and type what I am thinking. Then I go back and insert words or fix mistakes.

She touched on the concept of time. Writing is a lengthy process in comparison to typing. Making a print with a potato was also a time consuming process. Machines have made the creation of text easier. Bolter (2001) claims that each new technology sets out to be better than the one before it (p.26). This is certainly true for both the computer replacing manual script and the printing press replacing more primitive printing such as experienced through attempting to make potato prints. I am incredibly grateful for both inventions!

Bolter, Jay David. (2001). Writing space: Computers, hypertext, and the remediation of print [2nd edition]. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.