Marketing Data

2011 January 20
by Jenny

When I was doing the pre-reading, I came across the poll (as the following picture shows) which links to what I have been learning during the recent marketing and business statistics classes.

People who are responsible for the analysis of those data collected by this poll should be aware that the information is somewhat biased. Firstly, this poll is conducted by the readers of this article and their opinions won’t be necessarily representative of the whole public. Also, the phrasing and the attitude of this article might shape the thoughts of readers and therefore, shape the results of this poll – we might get results as “expected”. Those biased data might lead us to a wrong track, as a result marketers should always take a second thought before determining the method of data collecting.

It’s also a similar idea to targeting which is a crucial step in marketing. We have to be clear about what the target is and ensure that we are using the right targeting strategies and targeting the right market segment. But before that, we should have a well-rounded knowledge of the mission and vision of our business just  like we should know well about the purpose of our survey.

It’s always amazing when the knowledge learned from different subjects all link together and suddenly all of them make sense to me and therefore, the business world opens another window which helps me to think from another aspect.