Few thoughts on Chinese “Permanent Internet Residents”

2011 February 10

I don’t usually pay lots of attention to what is happening within China though I do know what is happening. It’s not because I don’t care about it but I just feel meaningless of following around and I don’t consider it as what a rational person would do, at least from my own point of view.

Honestly, it’s extremely impulsive in China right now as it’s not only fairly easy for just a random person to become popular overnight as long as he/she is willing to and he/she dare to show something different about him/herself, so is the other way around, it’s also fairly easy to destruct one’s reputation overnight. Fengjie is a perfect example which would fall under this category. I don’t regard it as a good situation and what even worse is that it will definitely last long considering the impulsive atmosphere in China.

There are lots Internet users acting like permanent residents in Internet who always push small news with immediate flood of comments right after the news come out and make it become magnificent and even exaggerate it. As it is quite easy to arise those “Internet Permanent Residents”, we will see that China is never tranquil and always has something “big” happening that everyone is talking about. Furthermore, they consider what they’ve been doing is for justice and it’s right to criticize those people whose behaviors are not recognized by them. Also it’s fair to do the Cyber Manhunt. However, it’s a matter of privacy and no one actually has the right to judge other people. Though I do have to admit that this is a trick as it’s true that everyone has rights to express their opinions.

I do hope that those “permanent internet residents” could be rational whenever they make their decisions to do something and I do hope everyone could focus more on their own life and thinking about their own passion and life-long goal and then fight for it instead of watching others as it’s always easy to say than act. Also, better utilization of social media should be considered by marketers.