Google incidence

2010 February 9
by Jenny

Personally speaking, I’m really concerned about the decision that Google is planning to quit China and very looking forward to the results of the negotiation between Google and Chinese government.

Information given by the official Google blog says that a highly sophisticated and targeted cyber attack originated from China affected at least 20 large companies. Evidences show that the hackers’ primary goal was to access the GMail accounts of known Chinese human rights activists.

The company also complained about the filtering of information which is required by the Chinese Government. But sometimes as we often say that if a company wants to win within a market, it has to respect the culture there and I believe censoring informaton can be regarded as an example.

However, as everyone knows that China possess a very huge market and Google can gain lots of profits from it. Thus, I do appreciate the courage hidden behind this decision. It’s hard for a company to leave 1.3 billion customers behind but it also shows that Google does try their best to fulfill its responsibility to its customers. The company wants a free environment and wants to do its best to protect what it can protect.