E-book pricing battle

2010 February 11
by Jenny

The article ”E-book Price Increase May” Stir Readers’ Passion on yesterday’s New York Times drew my attention and made me think of what we’ve discussed in class.

It is said that in the battle over the pricing of electronic books, publishers are planning to set up a higher price for E-book after the winning of first round and their plan received vehemence and protests from readers. Some e-book buyers claim that since publishers don’t have to pay to print, store or distribute e-book, they should be much cheaper then print books, however, this claimed is denied by the publishers.

To proceed from this argument, I believe that what the publisher should do is to show the reasons that they set this price. In other words, they should make the process of making e-books somewhat open and transparent to their consumers in order to convince them of their reasonable price. In addition, by doing so, they will keep their consumers and therefore their sales and profits.

The article please refer to http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/11/technology/11reader.html?ref=business