Biography

Hi everyone!

Welcome to my blog! My name is Jenny Zhang and I am a 4th year student pursuing a major in mathematics and a minor in economics. I was born in China but lived in Canada since I was one. Even though I practically grew up in Canada, because my parents only spoke Chinese, I always struggled with the English language in school.

A lot of people wonder why I chose math and there isn’t really a reason. It just worked out that way. Upon entering university, I had no idea what I wanted to major in and spent my years at school just struggling because I couldn’t find something I was passionate about. My family always encouraged me to study computer science and so I tried and just couldn’t see my self doing it when I’m older. Majoring in math was sort of a compromise with my family. It was good enough in their eyes and it allowed me some freedom but most importantly it gave me the time and opportunity to take classes like ENGL 301 which I think are very different and interesting. I want to be able to look back at my university days and remember some courses that I truly enjoy. For three years, I kept to myself at school because I just didn’t feel interested but this year I intend to spend my last year of school building more skills and gaining more experiences. The thought of graduating and starting to look for a job scares me and I though this course would be a great way to help.

Outside of school I enjoy spending time with friends and family and traveling. I love travelling to somewhere new because the world has so much to see and experience. My goal is to figure out what I am passionate about and pursue a career in that. I would hope that some travelling would be involved.

Jenny Zhang