About ENGL 301

COURSE SUMMARY

ENGL 301 is an online course intended to teach students the basic principles of written and online communication in business and professional contexts. ENGL 301 uses the course text Technical Communication, 14th Edition by John M. Lannon; Laura J. Gurak. In this course, there are there are three big assignments consisting of a Formal Report, Application Package on Linked-in and the Web Folio that that account for a total of 50% of the grade. The rest are made up of smaller assignments that are collaborative and reflective. This course requires students to be able to work independently, with teams made up of other students in the course and in  consultation with your instructor. The course is divided into 4 units with 3 units each. The first unit is Principles, Practices and People in English 301. The second unit is about Designing a Report Proposal; Defining Terms with Audience in Mind . The third unit is Designing a Report Outline & Draft; Building your Resume and Job Application skills and lastly Drafting the Formal Report; Peer Review and Final Report; developing networking strategies.

EXPECTATIONS

I think ENGL 301 is a great way to learn about professional writing. This course teaches skills that can be applied after graduating university. The assignments we are given, I find will be very applicable to our professional careers. I want to be able to learn how to convey a message better towards others. I expect to come out of this course with a strong resume where it looks well written and professional. I hope to come out of this course with improved writing and editing skills.