Unit 4 Reflection – Web Folio

Sun peeking through the trees © Jenny Zhu

To showcase the work done in ENGL 301, I chose to create my Web Folio on a UBC Blogs site.  This assignment encapsulates the course well and gives a good idea of what to expect for future students taking ENGL 301. 

In my opinion web folios should be intuitive to navigate and aesthetically pleasing. As a Biology student with little experience in website design, my blog started out with the bare minimums and no visuals. The initial creation of my site was straightforward but at times learning new HTML to format posts took a while.  One of the most helpful tips I learned was how to get rid of extra spaces by using “Shift + Enter” instead of just “Enter”. Over time I played around with the themes and added images I took around BC for personalization. The theme I went with was professional and modern. 

In the past I have tried creating a blog, but without a clear goal completing and publishing the site was just a distant thought. After two years, that blog is still far from finished. On the contrary, the ENGL 301 blog is a testament to how easy publishing a site can be when there is a purpose in mind. The contents of my blog, as suggested by the course, are all very useful, especially the online resume, LinkedIn profile, and formal report. For potential employers, having an accessible resume and online profile makes for easy screening and contact. In addition, the formal report provides a great writing sample. I also appreciate the personal aspect of having a bio that may increase the chances of people connecting with me. 

These days having an online presence is important and this web folio project is something I would like to expand on or modify in the future. Perhaps I would add current projects, accomplishments, and periodic reflection posts. This blog also motivates me to keep my Linkedin up to date. Trying out different themes could also be helpful in finding the optimal balance between simplicity and customizability.  In general this website would remain for academic and professional needs. Overall the process of creating a web folio was a rewarding accomplishment that I am excited to showcase.