Posted by: | 20th Mar, 2011

A great lesson from my friend Chow

Last month I had a long talk with my friend Chow who is now working in Arizona, the United States. We have met since junior high school, and he went studying in Arizona since 2006. He has been keeping successful no matter in studying, voluntary achievement and now working in a company. Now he will be sent to his company’s China branch because of his working visa’s issue but at the same time his company don’t want to lose him. Basically now he is having the life that exactly I want to have. Therefore except he is my friend, he is also a target that tells me how well I am supposed to be.

Since I am transferred to UBC from College, I sort of lost my self confidence because my surroundings are full of genius and textbook terminators. Say smart, genius are better than me; say hard-working, the terminators are better than me. Sometimes I don’t know what to do to have a good grade, to do something remarkable, to graduate, and to eventually find a good job in Canada. As a result, I phoned him by skype last month, and we chatted for more than an hour. As we all know, resume is essential, but what he told me was that sometimes you had no need to exactly follow the format of writing resume if you felt uncomfortable doing that. Place the order for your experience by valuable order. For example, if you are a finance student, and you are applying for an investment bank, then you should include more details of what you learnt in specific courses like Comm370 Business finance because they are the most valuable thing in your resume for investment banks. Also remember to write more professional keywords of finance because some companies may scan your resume; if the number of professional keywords are under what they require, they don’t even write your resume, and of course, give you a chance to interview. However, after you are successfully hired by an investment bank, then you should replace the order that put your working experience in the investment bank in the top and includes more details in that.

He have been hired by 6 companies including UPS; however, because of his working visa issue, he works for the last company. Also I am not very skillful talking to local canadian students, and I asked him how he speaks in the US. He taught me that don’t speak too fast even though you are in nervous because you have accent, and your primary objective is to let other people understand what you are saying. He has a special way speaking in this company’s conference: speak with points; don’t try to say something which is unorganized and senseless. On the other hand, of course, it doesn’t matte in casual talks.

Finally, he told me that, in fact, he didn’t think much all the way through about his achievements, and he just did anything made his journey of study aboard worth, so he told he that don’t worry too much about my study and my future; always keep myself above pressure and keep my mind nature, then I’ll have all the ability to overcome any troubles in Canada. Thank him very much; I always learn stuff from him.

Leave a response

Your response: