Likeability: The Match that Ignites Productivity

Do “Mean Girls” exists in the workplace as they do in high school? According to Mitch Prinstein, the Director of Psychology at the University of North Carolina, the same social hierarchy seen in high schools are apparent in business environments. At the top of the social hierarchy, whether it be Jocks, “Means Girls” or Bosses, are those deemed as “popular”. Nonetheless, there are two routes to reach this popularity, one way through likeability and the other way through status. However, is one route better than the other?

Gretchen Wieners (right) & her posey in Mean Girls.

Personally, I believe that one who achieves popularity through likeability is superior as they are more valuable than one who achieves popularity through status. For example, in high school, the “Mean Girls” are attention seeking, power-hungry individuals. On the other hand, there are the Student Council members, well-rounded, happy and inclusive individuals. In both cases, these groups are popular, however one key aspect differs between the two: likeability. One who is liked, yet popular holds the power to positively influence others, wherehease the “Gretchen Wieners” of the school creates a cloudy environment by downgrading others. Thus, one who achieves popularity through likeability is better as they hold the power to positively impact others.

Furthermore, it is argued that it is “one’s likeability that ultimately leads to success in a corporation environmentInitially, I disagreed with this statement as I believed that success is achieved through motivation and hard work. However, after last Comm 101 class on Human Resources, I realized that motivation and hard work are simply results produced by likeability. To clarify, one who is liked by others is motivated to continue to work hard as they feel valued and appreciated. Therefore, likeability is the match that ignites productivity in the workplace.

My National Lifeguard class post team bonding.

Moreover, as an employee of a corporation, I fully corroborate the statement above arguing  that likeability fuels success in a corporation. For instance, during my training for my position as a Lifeguard for the Corporation of Delta, I underwent extensive practical training along with team building activities. Not only did I practice spinal and drowning procedures, but I engaged in activities like California kickball, work dinners and activities outside of the workplace with my colleagues. Initially, my attitude towards these extracurriculars were that they were useless. However, a sense of inclusivity and happiness were fostered amongst us by these activity. Inturn, the work environment at my pool became more enjoyable and I looked forward to working as it no longer felt like a task.

Ultimately, employees are a business’ greatest asset. Therefore by ensuring that a welcoming and inclusive environment is created will allow for productivity to naturally cultivate in the workplace.

Word Count: 435

References:

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20171106-popularity-at-work-still-matters-whether-we-like-it-or-not

https://qz.com/1027802/there-are-two-kinds-of-popularity-and-we-are-choosing-the-wrong-one/

Image 1:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/03/entertainment/mean-girls-day/index.html

Imagine 2:

National Lifeguard Team. Personal photograph by Jeshin Toor. 2016.