Unit One Reflection Blog

Writing the first draft of the Technical definition

For this assignment, I had to choose a technical term used in a specific field or in academia. I chose to write definitions on the term, Agnost, which is used in the Brain Dysfunction field. There was a lot of other terms which had to be simplified in order to make it easier to understand. Words such as neurotransmitter, receptor may not be known words but it is necessary to explain what Agonist is. I was familiar with sentence definitions and parenthetical definitions. However, expanded definitions were more challenging. I learned that expanded definitions have specific sections such as the history of the term, Example, Analysis of Parts, Required Conditions, Negation and Compare and Contrast. These sections’ purpose is to further explain what the technical term is. The first draft of the technical definition was a challenging process but I learned to be more specific in my writing. 

Peer Review Process

In this part of the assignment, I had to assess a team member’s Technical definition of Judicial Review. I learned how other people write their own definitions. It was interesting to read their Example section regarding the historical importance of a Judicial Review.Through this process, I was able to critique another team member’s definitions. Being on the other side of the process by giving criticism rather than receiving it was enjoyable. I have learned how to implement the same critiques to my own writing in order to better spot certain imperfections within my writing. 

Revision Process

I was appreciative of the criticism that was given to me to better understand how to improve my writing. After examining my team member’s critique of my writing, I was able to see the gaps within my writing. There were typos and I learned that I should be conscious of proofreading my work more carefully. While I tried to be concise, I forgot that I should be more specific and detailed in sections such as the scenario section.

ENGL 301: Response to Writing Team Invitation

To: Gareth Yuen

From: Junelie Guevarra

Date: February 1, 2023

Subject: ENGL 301: Response to Writing Team Invitation

Dear Gareth,

Thank you for your invitation to join your writing team. 

Your academic experience as an English major would be a benefit to the team. Your abilities working in fast paced environments and being adaptable are exemplary. Likewise, my professional experience working with high school youth has enabled me to be flexible. By having a wide range of experiences working in Hong Kong would enhance the team dynamic. 

I look forward to collaborating with you on our writing team.

Regards,

Junelie Guevarra

ENGL 301

ENGL 301: Invitation to Writing Team #2

To: Gabriella Generoso

From: Junelie Guevarra

Date: February 1, 2023

Subject:  ENGL 301: Invitation to Writing Team

Dear Gabriella,

I have assessed your application for the position as a member in a writing team. The writing team currently has another member, Salma Ismail. I believe your exemplary skills of writing briefs and proposals can bring value to being a collaborative member in the writing team.  Your experience being in a collaborative setting with 10 individuals is impressive. Your experience working with a diverse group of individuals as a Retail Manager while working towards a Bachelor’s Degree shows excellent time management skills.  

I would like to extend an invitation to you to join my writing team. I have attached my application letter for your reference. Let me know if you are interested in joining, you can reach me at guevarrajunelie@gmail.com.

Regards,

Junelie Guevarra

ENGL 301

Enclosure: 301 Junelie Guevarra Application Letter

301 Junelie Guevarra Application Letter

ENGL 301: Invitation to Writing Team #1

To: Salma Ismail

From: Junelie Guevarra

Date: February 1, 2023

Subject: ENGL 301: Invitation to Writing Team

Dear Salma Ismail,

I have reviewed your application as a potential member for the writing team. I applaud your work as a settlement counsellor in the non-profit sector. You would be well-suited on the team as we come from similar professional backgrounds. Similarly, I have administrative experience which includes writing final reports for grant funders. Your knowledge and expertise regarding grant writing and reports would be a great addition to the team.

Regards,

Junelie Guevarra

ENGL 301

301 Junelie Guevarra Application Letter