Social Enterprise In My Eye

1496_SVA_infographic_slides_11-Copy

(image source)

To me, social entrepreneurs are those who “give a lot for a better world without making themselves poorer”. Some of them co-exist with the nature. They make money without polluting the environment or misusing natural resources. Some of them aim to make the poor better-off. They give fresh food to the starving crowd. They teach the jobless people skills which help them make a living. They should always be praised for generating huge shared values.

To be a successful entrepreneur is not easy. Personally, I think the following building blocks are extremely important for a social enterprise:

1. Value Proposition. Social entrepreneurs consider more than economic profit. They have to be innovative when positioning their social enterprises. The VP should be so creative but so great that no one has ever thought of in the past. That helps the enterprise to differentiate.

2. Key Resources. Social entrepreneurs need them to lay a solid foundation. They need funds and materials to start up. They need platforms to expose themselves. But since they are often solitary, they might not have the access to these resources. They need supports from all walks of life. see A New Platform for Social Enterprise Startups in the U.S.

Airbnb Is Making More Than Just Money

Peer’s Blog: AIRBNB-THE SMARTUP

I agree with my peer that being a community-based company that creates shared values has led Airbnb to great success. I appreciate the idea of being eco-friendly because this shared value links directly to our sustainability. I also think that this company encourages people to be more trustful. By bringing people all over the world together, the company is creating a harmonious atmosphere which is indeed socially beneficial. (extra link) Airbnb is more than a profitable company. It also cares about its external environment and makes contributions.

airbnb_feature

(image source)

Personally, I think Airbnb is also a disruptive innovator in the industry. Instead of building more luxurious hotels that meet the needs of the highest end, the company has introduced a brand new way for people to accommodate–a way that makes the best of resources and brings cultural integration. Booking accommodations is more than just looking for rooms with basic necessities now. One has the chance to stay in a warm house of a complete stranger. What’s more, the price is pretty low, which appeals to the lower class, and to those who used to be bystanders. In a word, the company’s success is not surprising. Future development can be expected by the crowd.

Is It Really Necessary?

Christmas Music in Stores: When Is It Too Early?

merry_christmas_2013-HD

(image source)

It’s true that starting playing Christmas music at a so early time is not necessary at all. Doing so makes customers complain and turns their shopping experience into a disaster. Not just playing Christmas music, sellers tend to fill their stores with different music throughout the year. Personally, I am sometimes annoyed by the loud music because I can’t even hear the assistants talk. So is MUSIC a necessary part? I won’t say that everyone feels irritated, but it’s possible that most of them are indifferent. Shopping in stores with or without music may generate the same result. So why not turn off those music which makes no difference or even anger people? Stores don’t have to stick to this so-called “tradition” if it only incurs higher expenses. Same for advertisements. Overwhelmed by the annoying ads, people complain all the time and hardly ever take a look at them. We often forget what ads are actually for.

To conclude, there’s no such thing as a “must” in business. Actions should be in the pursuit of more profitable sellers as well as happier customers.

It’s All About POSITIONING and STRATEGIES

peer’s blog: KIA Falling Off the Ladder

supportive link: Tesla Motors’ Success Gives Electric Car Market a Charge

Tesla_Motors_logo.svg

(image source)

After reading my peer’s blog post, I agree with his analysis of KIA introducing its new luxury model. It is very clear that KIA is at a very vulnerable position of this branch. It’s hard even for BMW(who ranks second in this branch) to compete with Mercedes, so it is almost impossible for KIA to climb up to the top of the ladder within a certain time period. It is necessary for companies to look for unoccupied ladders, where they have the most potential to become the leading role.

For those existing already in the industry and being dominant, it is important to have sustainable advantages. Tesla sets an example. After it first introduced a fully electric model, it also has exerted great efforts to develop its charging technologies. The company has signed up contracts with many power suppliers. These are activities that create fits to enhance the company’s business model. And they help the company to stay competitive because their strategy cannot be imitated easily by rivals.  To conclude, companies should be competitive enough to avoid being threatened by new entrants.