Skip navigation

Just recently, in June, Screen Shot 2014-10-06 at 11.04.25 PMthe Supreme Court of Canada granted the Tsilhqot’in the right to 1750 sq km of land, signalling a shift in judicial decision that will lay precedent for aboriginal cases to follow.

While this is a landmark decision, I believe it is only a small step towards recognizing aboriginal rights.

Businesses, specifically resource extraction businesses, who had interests in the land before will still hold their interests now; those who attempted to create an unfair deal before will still try to create an unfair deal now. It is undeniable, however, that the passing of this decision is a significant legislative barricade that will thwart many unfair deals; it is just my opinion that more needs to be done to truly place both parties, the business men and the aboriginals, on the same level.

What exactly needs to be done though?

I do not know for certain; I do not know because I don’t understand the situation well enough to make a concrete conjecture; I cannot feel the anger, despair and betrayal of the aboriginals nor can I comprehend the influences of a company and its duty to its stakeholders.

But I can say that one day, I will try my best to understand.