Monthly Archives: October 2014

First Nation affects hydroelectric project

Business situation and decision could be affected by political, economics, social and technology factors in long run. In the example below, the First Nation acts as an essential social external factor that influence the business decision.

In this case, in order to fulfil the increasing population of northeastern British Columbia, BC Hydro planed to construct a dam and hydroelectric generating station on the Peace River to promote oil, gas and mining industries. However, this project was rejected by the First Nation leaders who suggest “B.C. is Indian land”. They are concerned about the destruction of environment and wildlife habitat. Now the B.C. government is seeking a better way of cooperation but not litigation to solve this argument.

In my opinion, I think if a business want to operate in long run, instead of only considering about its internal strength and weakness, it should concern more on the external factors to distinguish its opportunity or threats. In the above case, although BC Hydro business was thinking about building a dam and hydroelectric business to support other local business in order to search for higher productivity and more revenue, it was disapproved by the First Nation as one external social factor. If this business wants to operate and success in long run, it should cooperate well with its external factors.

Green Energy in Canada

Saskatchewan, a province of central Canada powered up an old coal-fired power on October 2nd, which is described by Maria van der Hoeven, an international Energy Agency as a historic milestone of low-carbon future. However, the cost for this technology is quite huge which make this Green Energy uneconomically behind the screen. In order to cover the huge investment, the plant’s publicly-owned operator, SaskPower considers to sell the byproducts, such as sulphur dioxide emissions and “the captured carbon dioxide to Cenovus Energy, which plans to pump the gas into oil wells not far away to boost output”. This is not really achieve “Green Energy” from the fundamental aspect since the product still relate to fossil fuel.

As my opinion, I do not think the Green Energy project really works. One reason is that although the technology is born to use, the cost is so large that people cannot afford it.  Another reason is that pump carbon dioxide into oil well is threaten to the environment, how can a project not good to the environment calls ” Green energy”.

I chose this topic because I find some decision must be making under both economical and environmental friendly way, which is sometimes difficult but interesting.

http://www.economist.com/news/business-and-finance/21622238-although-saskatchewans-new-carbon-capture-facility-start-technology-still

Mandarin Speaking population in Vancouver

Before I arrived at Canada, I already knew that Chinese and Hong kong people occupy a large percentage of immigrants of Vancouver. However, after I live here for a month, I finally realise how large the percentage is. Sometimes when I walk around campus or take the sky stain, I feel Mandarin is everywhere. Why Vancouver has so many Chinese people?

I think it should relate to two aspects, one is from social side and another is from economical side. Vancouver has a nice living environment, compare with Toronto and Montreal which are cold among the year. Apart from that, Vancouver has a perfect geographical position which can directly relate to the economical reasons. Convenient transportation promotes international trade of Vancouver with other countries, therefore some businesspeople expand their business or cooperate with Canadian business which definitely increase the number of immigrants in Vancouver. Besides, Vancouver is so near to the US, which would benefit more on international business cooperation. Last but not least, I think Chinese students, which regard as international students generate commercial benefit for the university since they pay a huge amount of money for tuition. Because of that, even the school do not want to cut the number of international students, especially who speak mandarin. 🙂