Marketing YOU.

What does marketing yourself mean? What opportunities may come from it? How do you market yourself?
These questions have become more relevant with the onset of Marketing Classes at UBC. It has occurred to me, that the idea of marketing yourself, in the sense similar to a product would, is very important. It seems like the concepts of SWOTs, and even the marketing mix may be applied to you personal life. The ability to ‘sustain a competitive advantage’ in school and against other students is imperative to your future, in terms of what opportunities and jobs may come along. I haven’t fully understood the concepts of ‘marketing’ yourself, but I intend on developing these as time progresses. For now, I believe that adding “VALUE” to your life is a good start. Recently, I’ve been thinking of ‘internationally marketing myself’, in the form of exchange. I plan to broaden my views on life and use the new experiences I’ve gained from the trip to seek opportunities and make myself stand out. The section on my transcript or resumé that says: Wirtschaftsuniversität Wien, Austria or Stockholm School of Economics, I’d definitely say would increase your market value. It’s difficult to sort through hundreds of applicants when they are all fairly consistant, so it will help to make yourself different  (in a good sense of course). As numerous student reports say: “Exchange helps you understand different cultures, customs, and traditions. It will add to your perspective of the world, change your life!”
Well, I think that those all fit well into marketing yourself -I’m down for that, count me in.  Overall, I do believe that if I do end up travelling to Europe to study, it will become a significant marketing tool, and will assist me in the future.

This however, is only one of the millions of ways of distinguishing yourself. I sure hope to learn more about how to market yourself, as a business student as the Marketing course progresses. It will be interesting to develop, apply, and see the results!
Anyways, till next time.

" Oh snap! You've studied there?!? That's pretty sick " - Future Employer

This entry was posted in Marketing : COMM 296. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Marketing YOU.

1. Maryse says:

Hey Jordan,

You raise a really great point about going on Exchange (or any international learning program, for that matter). I thought you might like to know that, in partnership with our colleagues over at Career Services, Go Global offers workshops for returned students on how to leverage your international experience. This includes how to include it in your resume, and how to talk about with a potential employer (i.e. focusing on intercultural effectiveness, problem-solving, and global perspective skills you may have acquired).

Good luck with your decision and application! UBC offers tons of great programs for Sauder students.

Maryse Zeidler
    Communications Coordinator
    Go Global: International Learning Programs

2. leung561 says:

Thanks Maryse!

I actually did not know that Go Global offers such services to returning students! I do agree with you, that the benefits gained from such workshops are immeasurable. The ability to communicate this with employers and others is something that I see most students can improve on. Thanks for the advice!

Regards,
    jordon