Beyond Passive Activism

Posted by in Sustainability Marketing

One particular article by Derrick Jensen in Orion Magazine made such a huge impact on my perspective on environmentalism when I read it last year. It really opened my eyes to what defines a person that truly wants to change the state of the environment. What it demonstrates is that personal consumption and personal waste account for a very small proportion of total consumption and waste. The vast majority of pollution and resource use comes from industry and government. This means, that no matter how much we recycle, compost, and use energy-efficient products, it will never be enough to save the planet unless companies begin to change their practices. So if all we ever do to help our environment is lead a simple life at home, then we aren’t truly engaging in activities that will make a difference.

These ideas really solidified my decision to work towards a concentration in sustainability here at Sauder. If I can use the tools I learn here and bring them to my workplace after graduation, perhaps I can make a more substantial change in the world than if I just drive a hybrid car. Interestingly, I had to remind myself of this article when I went to Guatemala during reading break. Everywhere you turn you see garbage littering the sides of the roads and not a single recycling bin in sight, and so you think the country must be ruining the earth. And yet Canada’s CO2 emissions are substantially worse than Guatemala’s and we use far more energy because of the industries that make up our economy.

Energy Consumption (source Wikimedia Commons):

Guatemala: 623.6 kilograms of oil equivalent per person in 2001

Canada: 7999.5 kilograms of oil equivalent per person in 2001

Image: CO2 Emissions Per Capita Per Country (source: Wikimedia Commons)

I think this is why sustainability marketing is so important. Compared to traditional promotions, it encourages change rather than merely reflecting current consumer preferences, getting people to act above and beyond what’s minimally required of them. Perhaps this type of marketing can move people towards political change, so that we no longer see solely passive activism, such as when people decide to bring reusable bags to the grocery store. These types of activities are good, but it’s time to take our actions one step further.