Today I started our Macbeth unit in all three blocks of my practicum workload. I shared with them the assignments (two visual interpretation assignments and a mock trial) and when I got to the fact that we would be ACTING out Shakespeare, I was met by groans of agony.

“Why can’t we just read it?” one student whined.

“It’s a drama, student,” I replied, “it is meant to be on its feet and acted out not read sitting down.”

“But we did that last year!”

“And you were probably sooo bored right?”

“…”

I reassured them all that I would not let them be up there acting alone, I would be right there acting with them. I stressed that they were not going to memorize the lines-because that is SUPER hard – they would always have their scripts with them. It wasn’t until I hauled out the foam swords and daggers that they calmed down and seemed to get excited.

I, myself, have been super excited about this unit since I started planning it because I am a huge Shakespeare nerd and Macbeth is my all time FAVOURITE play. I’ve got some interesting activities and projects planned for these blocks and I am hoping, and trying to be optimistic, that the students can get psyched and amped up like I am.

I guess we’ll see. Set the stage, our acting starts tomorrow.

Later days!