During the course of my BEd program, I have had to create, adapt, and discuss my educational philosophy, something I did not even know how to write. My very first attempt at an educational philosophy was based entirely on Harry Potter. It went as follows:
“I have fashioned my teaching philosophy after literature, specifically Harry Potter. I want to be genuinely kind and caring like Professor Hagrid who has a giant heart; fiercely loyal like Professor McGonagall who is strict yet believes in equity in the classroom and will defend her students with every breath she takes; kind and authentic like Professor Lupin who saw his students as powerful young people who could do great things; dedicated and level headed like Professor Dumbledore; and unpredictable like Professor Moody. I grew up learning about my world through the books I read and none has taught me more about what makes a teacher great like Harry Potter. Thus, I will build my teaching philosophy on the bedrock of my imaginative wonders.” ( you can find my original philosophy here at: https://blogs.ubc.ca/jnishi/inquiry-proposal-innovation-inspiration/ ).
Then I actually went into the teaching world and realized that, while the bedrock of my philosophy is still based on the qualities of the professors in Harry Potter, I could expand on my philosophy a lot more than just wanting to be like Dumbledore.
I believe that every student has the potential to be an integral and courageous human being capable of kindness and wonder. I also know that not all students are able to see or believe in this potential themselves. So I will believe in thier potential for them. I firmly believe in the development of a strong work ethic and this shapes the way I teach. I want students to have high expectations for their academic work, pride in their own thoughts and opinions, and confidence in their abilities. I believe in encouraging students to meet their individual potential by maintaining high yet achievable standards with kindness, encouragement, and dedication. I will fight for my students to meet their potential and see it, until they believe in it for themselves.
My new philosophy sounds naive, it’s true, but I believe it is something that Dumbledore would say and do.