Okay, so reflection time.

Week two was way better than the first week, except the weather, which was terrible, so, so terrible. Unlike other districts, the school district in which my school is located did not have any snow days. We are resilient, never giving up or surrendering to the weather but teaching…even when we wish we were curled up in bed sleeping.

Last week was the end of my introduction mish-mash of things unit that focused on many of the boring but important things such as theme statements and essay writing. There were some glazed over eyes, even when I tried to make things interesting, sometimes you just can’t win. Sometimes the students need to do the boring things like copying notes from the overhead and reading handouts. The fun stuff comes today when we have POETIC DEVICE SHOW-DOWN! (which has already been a huge success in block 2).

Last week I learned that just because students seem to zone out and look at the clock as if they were sleeping with their eyes open does not mean that they are not absorbing the material. Two students shocked me with their writing by not just parroting back what I had said in class but by actually doing their own analysis of the material! I also learned that my students seem to thrive on competition, which is something I can totally work with.

I also learned the importance of modeling and talking/walking through the content with the students so they can see HOW they are supposed to do things.

All in all week 2 was a win…I think.

Okay so the bell is going to ring in a second and this coffee will not drink itself.

Later Days!