Self-Assessment Blog: The Last Post

As I reflect on my progress throughout the term, I can honestly say that I am pleased with my improvement. Not only did my writing improve, but I learned so much more about the fundamental concepts of professional writing that I did not know before. Things such as knowing when to acknowledge and emphasize the reader is a critical skill when dealing with other professionals.

I found that my writing at the beginning of the course had a different tone than it did at the end of the course. At the beginning of the course, my writing was much more casual and unprofessional. Before ENGL 301, I did not have much experience writing letters and reflections in a professional tone and that really showed at the beginning of the course. As the term progressed, I found that my writing slowly became better, though I also felt that I struggled to grasp how to write with a YOU-Attitude. Being better at knowing when to talk directly to the reader was a common comment on my work, and I feel like I finally understood how to address this issue near the end of the course. I also learned how to thoroughly edit the work of a peer throughout the course. I spent a lot of time reading my peers’ work over the term and I feel as though I gave better and better suggestions as the term progressed.

The skills that I gained in this course are directly beneficial to my future career in software development. In a position where many members of my team work remotely, knowing how to properly address co-workers and customers is extremely important.

I am very grateful to have taken this course and to learn valuable skills that are transferable to any career.