Linking task 12: Speculative futures — Kelcie

Links: My post for Task 12  ·  Kelcie’s post for Task 12

I chose to link to Kelcie’s post because we both leveraged multimedia for our tasks, and I thought it would be interesting to dive deeper and explore the similarities and differences in which multimedia enhanced our content.

How has your colleague’s experience differed from yours? And how do you know?

Kelcie mentioned in her post for Task 4 that she is an art teacher, and I can see how her expertise and comfort level with visual representations is evident throughout her blog.

For Task 12, I especially appreciated the stark contrast in the visuals she chose for her two Genially presentations, where one feels digital, cold, and uses high-contrast colours, whereas the other feels more human, gentle, and uses more muted tones.

As for me, I was a visual art undergraduate and have been trying to get back into coding, and upon reflection now I see how I focused more on the interaction of my task, as opposed to Kelcie’s which also leveraged visual design to evoke feelings.

What web authoring tool have they chosen to manifest their work?

• For our blogs: Kelcie uses Wix, whereas I’m using WordPress on UBC Blogs.
    • For our posts for Task 12: Kelcie used Genially, and I used p5.js and HTML.

How does their tool differ from yours in the ways in which it allows content-authoring and end-user interface?

I’m not too familiar with Wix so I can’t speak to the content-authoring side of it, but I see similarities in the end-user interfaces of Wix versus WordPress on UBC Blogs. I did notice that there’s a limited selection of WordPress themes for UBC Blogs, as compared to the virtually limitless options on WordPress.com. I imagine Kelcie would’ve had more control in the customization of her blog using Wix compared to my options on UBC Blogs.

What literacies does their site privilege or deny in comparison and contrast to yours?

I will leverage two key themes of The New London Group’s (1996) article A pedagogy of multiliteracies: Designing social future — cultural & linguistic diversity and modes — in exploring the literacies of our sites and posts.

Cultural & linguistic diversity

• Language (similarity): Kelcie and I both use the English language for our posts.
    • Experience with art/design (similarity): Kelcie is an art teacher, and my undergrad was in visual art.
    • Experience with teaching at schools (difference): It appears to me that Kelcie is familiar with the terms and concepts used at schools, such as subjects, grades, and SEL. These are not things I’ve had to use in my work.
    • Experience with organizational learning and development in the business sector (difference): The equivalents of subjects, grades, and SEL in my work may be programs and training, performance management, and collaboration skills and wellness initiatives, respectively.

Modes

• Visual design (similarity): (I referenced earlier in this post how I think our experience with art/design manifests in our blog and tasks.)

What theoretical underpinnings are evident in your/your colleague’s textual architecture and how does this affect one’s experience of the work?

As I alluded to under ‘Cultural & linguistic diversity’, one of the things that stood out to me in Kelcie’s post for Task 12 was her ability to assess and support learning for young people. Her work is thoughtful, whereas mine is more direct. Upon reflection, I think my experience working with experienced professionals throughout my entire career so far may have shaped the way I communicate and tackle tasks.

How do the constraints of the course design manifest in your architectural choices? How have you responded to the pedagogical underpinnings of this course design in your own web space?

Initially I found the blog format to be freeing (compared to Canvas discussions or word documents for most other courses) and allowed me to be more creative with my tasks. However, once I got used to the blog format, I started to also see its limitations.

For that reason, for Task 12 I decided to code my submission from scratch using HTML and p5.js. It was a ton of fun, and I wish I had thought to do this (and more!) earlier! I thought it would be fitting to execute my last task for a text technologies course using very literal text technologies (HTML, p5.js).

The New London Group. (1996). A pedagogy of multiliteracies: Designing social futures. Harvard Educational Review, 66(1), 60-92. http://newarcproject.pbworks.com/f/Pedagogy%2Bof%2BMultiliteracies_New%2BLondon%2BGroup.pdf