the metaphysics of cats and words

Question 3: Words. Chamberlin talks a lot about language, in particular the strangeness and wonder of how language works. Stories, he says, “bring us close to the world we live in by taking us into the world of words” (italics mine, 1).  He describes learning to read and write as learning “to be comfortable with a cat that is both there and not there”  (132). Based on Chamberlin’s understanding of how riddles and charms work, explain this “world of words.” Reflect on why “words make us feel closer to the world we live in” (1).

For the past two years, I have been the proud best friend of my roommate’s cat, Sprite. Sprite, my roommate and I’s house was recently torn down, so we were forced to part ways, but up until this, our cohabitation involved a lot of this:

sprite

Sprite is a strange cat in that she is a purebred Ragdoll. She has been (in)bred to be docile and passive, and is thus even more floppy and sleepy than your average cat. I understand that this is not exactly what Chamberlin was speaking about when referencing the cat that is both there and not there (in Sprite’s case, not there meaning asleep 20 hours of the day), or herding cats (my kind of cat-central-metaphors kind of guy); but it did get me thinking about the elusivity of something we hold so closely as part of our self-actualization: language.

I ended up at a previous student’s blog for a previous semester of this course, who explained that the cat as both there and not there is a reference to a thought experiment conducted by Erwin Schrödinger that explored imagination and reality as the ultimate paradox. Kk, sorry Erwin, philosophy is not really my jam, but this notion of reality and imagination as not so much polar, but symbiotic makes (a little more) sense with regard to Chamberlin’s “world of words”.

In describing the relationship between imagination and reality as symbiotic, I do not wish to confuse Erika’s discussion of the symbiotic relationship between story and literature–though the two pairings do seem to go hand in hand. Words and language are much like my pal Spritey because as much as the speaker/writer is in control of them–feels as though they own and raise them intentionally–they are also 1) not something entirely created by the speaker, their own entity that came from past relations/history/beings 2) available to others (readers, listeners and other speakers) to be interpreted and used. The connotations of language are aloof to the speaker: as Erika notes, the control and power is messily and foggily exchanged between writer and reader, speaker and listener. While storytelling allows for more context, energy and emphasis to be added that can influence the listener, the speaker is still very much in a vulnerable state in presenting their reality through words: does the reality need to be confirmed by listeners in order for it to be actualized. Through how many variations of hearing can a story go for power to come from shared belief?

In the context of discussion around colonization, forgetting and unlearning, power seems to be a separate factor: something that is not entirely born from shared stories and belief, but something that pre-exists due to histories of violence and misunderstanding (I fear that misunderstanding is too gentle a term, but alas I am limited in the world of words). When histories are intentionally forgotten on an institutional (and thus, national) level, not only do the connotations and meanings of words veer strongly out of the favour of certain (read First Nations) groups, but ways of using words to exhibit knowledge, belief and consequent reality are challenged and ignored.

Macneil’s discussion of orality was a much needed read, because I have been exceedingly frustrated by this binary of “literacy”–and the horrors of “illiterate” groups–“illiterate” women around the globe. Last summer I did an internship at a library in Busolwe, Uganda. I was doing impact assessment on this language decolonization program for elementary schools. ~~I have, to the point of nausea, one million things to say about the fact that I was even working abroad, especially in what would be considered a “development” situation, so hit me up if you ever want to chat over a beer, because I can’t type it all out on this bad boy.~~ The thing about Uganda is that it is seen as one of the *best* countries in East Africa if we’re talking about stability and the UN Millennium Development Goals; on that note, the thing about Uganda is that elementary school is taught in home vernacular until grade three, before a straight up switch where everything goes to English. whaaat. Because of this (again, I need a beer), there is a tonne of internalized inferiority, a huge drop in grades and “literacy”/the learning curve and a very estranged relationship to language. What I noticed especially was that, because English was this language specific to (Westernized, high emphasis on science, math etc.) school and studying, students used the language very clinically–self expression, story telling and poetry were kind of out of the picture when speaking English. But at the same time, students are punished when speaking their family dialects, so that is kind of limited too–or there is a certain amount of shame associated with it. For so many people, language (speaking and writing) is a primary medium for self-expression. Self-expression is a confirmation of self: a cumulation of experiences that confirms one’s existence, reality and validity. To force Eurocentric ideals, and colonial languages is to challenge the realities of groups, histories and individuals. THIS IS IN NO WAY MEANT TO BE ME TELLING THE STORY OF THE “DISEMPOWERMENT” OF THE PEOPLE IN BUSOLWE. I feel vulnerable in my own words here, because I hope in no way to be taking some kind of anthropological, “look what we’ve done”, labelling of the “victims” of colonialism. This is just one slice, one story/perspective to illustrate a point of the power of words and language and how tied to history “legitimate” ways of knowing can be.

Continuing with this, the documentary Schooling the World: The Last White Man’s Burden  calls bullshit on the current trend in international “development” toward building schools to tackle illiteracy. The main point is that for some reason, the building of Western-style schools doesn’t seem as inherently racist or ignorant as, say, Christian religious missions, due to this assumption that education and literacy is “higher” in the hierarchy of needs and thus universal. But the reality is that going into situations to eradicate “illiteracy” is to claim a terra nullius on the knowledge and histories of the families and groups being approached. The film notes that inferiority is internalized in a twofold manner: children are taught that they are essentially being saved from the ignorance and poverty of their families through these new, Western schools (presumably being “built” by white voluntourists) and elders are being told that they have nothing valuable to teach to the young people in their communities. Additionally, when the kids taught in these Westernized elementary schools don’t succeed at becoming doctors, they don’t have the knowledge of their families/communities, and aren’t really useful at, for example, subsistence farming. It is kind of like a displacement of knowledge that can lead to literal displacement of people.

These examples of current-day colonization exhibit the delicate relationship between language and reality. While there is the micro relationship between how words articulate imagination, thus creating this quasi-reality is present, on a macro level, how we determine what types and uses of language are valuable and legitimate feeds into create and denying entire histories and bodies of knowledge. This is where unlearning, though SO difficult, is valuable. Through my schooling, I’ve always been taught to “think critically”, question whatever one is being told. But the problem with this is that critical thinking mostly materializes in the form of imposing one’s subjectivity and reality onto a story/argument/artwork. Unlearning as a method of critical thought more requires criticizing one’s subjective reality to better understand all of the assumptions that are made when listening. What we hear and what we don’t hear, and why. What we choose to make real, and what we see as mere detailing.

I’m trying to think of a way to bring this back to my cat. How do you deal with the pukey hairballs of your lil fuzzy words?

love,
Jocie

Dada, Zara. “Imagination v. Reality, The Ultimate Paradox?” UBC Blogs. 01/17/14. Web.

Black, Carol. “Schooling the World: The White Man’s Last Burden.” A Thousand Rivers. 2010.

Chamberlin, Edward. If This is Your Land, Where are Your Stories? Finding Common Ground. Toronto: AA. Knopf. 2003. Print.

Courtney MacNeil, “Orality.” The Chicago School of Media Theory. Uchicagoedublogs. 2007. Web. 24 May 2015.

9 Thoughts.

1. Hey Josie,

I hope your cat will become a feature of your blog. A great way to physicalize some abstract ideas and cute. 🙂 Its interesting that the passsiveness of Sprite was a trait made through breeding – I think it relates to your later points about certain histories being bred out at an institutional level; this is very much something that is bred into us. Yet, unlike Sprite, we have the ability to take classes like this and try to unlearn that breeding.

Thanks for sharing about your experience in Uganda, I found it very interesting that the kids adapt to using English clinically. I guess it’s true that the first things you learn with a new language usually isn’t poetry, so I shouldn’t be so surprised.

That documentary looks fascinating, in High School I went through an alternative education program that demanded a lot of volunteer hours. There was only a small group of us so we became very dedicated in our attention towards landmines, child soldiers, global warming, etc. There was definitely a sense that going to Africa and building a source of education was a GREAT THING TO DO and we should do it if we wanted the world to be a better place! Our ideology was naive and never questioned from a perspective but our own. We never came into contact with a documentary like this and certainly never faced an idea that imposing English on these children was a way of eradicating the value of their born language. (Isn’t this one of the things that we did in residential schools? Shouldn’t we have learned better?)

Best,
    -J

2. Hi Jocelyn,

I find it really interesting that we both read Chamberin’s cat metaphors and looked at them differently. The thing about metaphors is that you can interpret them in different ways, but still get the intended meaning.

In my own blog, I quoted, “Speech and writing are so entangled with each other in our various forms and performance of language that we are like Penelope, weaving them together during the day and unweaving them at night” and compared it to dreaming. Because at the end of the day, whether she is weaving or unweaving doesn’t matter; she is still telling a yarn, and dreaming for her husband to come home. I actually excluded the “pushing a string or herding cats” part, but ‘pushing a string’ made me think about putting down a string of thoughts on paper, and trying to ‘push’ an idea, that I actually wondered whether he was doing that on purpose. ‘Herding cats’ is kind of an ideal, cause let’s face it, that would be AWESOME! But when you think about doing it with sheepdogs you realize the futility… The closest thing I can think of is the Crazy Cat Lady from the Simpsons, but she is not herding them as much as throwing them away. Here’s a video, that I think encapsulates herding cats: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcUu-U3BL40

The way you connect Sprite to his metaphor of the “cat that is both there and not there” is both intriguing and quirky. It just goes to show that it can evoke many different kinds of cats, like a witch’s cat or Edgar Allan Poe’s Black Cat *shudders.* However, it’s really true that you can think of them as being ‘purebreds,’ but they’re really just inbred. Same is true for some great danes, bull dogs, and german shepherds, thus attaching it to the idea of reality vs. imagination.

It makes me think of how Chamberlin says, “‘Believe it and not’–rather than ‘believe it or not’–is the challenge of every metaphor, of every myth, of every religion, of every community” (34). The way he mentions the “yes, and no” answer to whether the Greeks believed their myths makes me think about current religion. I never want to really criticize it, because if you take away all the dogma they still have their faith, but sometimes I think people take it too literally. However, it’s not like atheists can’t be literal minded. It just makes me wonder who gets more drawn to the “world of words” – literal minded people, or metaphorical minded people? Or is it pointless to ask?

My experience in Uganda also made me value “critical thinking,” but I was so amazed by how they accepted other religions and each other without question. It really dismantled stereotypes perpetrated by the media. They also kind of merged their Christianity or Islam with their indigenous belief systems to frame their realities.

Best regards,
    Evan

• Great dialogue here – 🙂 But, do me a favour through out this course and always capitalize Indigenous, just like we do Christian and Islamic, European and Canadian – thanks.

• Sorry I meant to do it as an adjective, and thought that wasn’t capitalized; but, reading it again, it seems like I’m giving the various Indigenous religions in Uganda less weight than branches of Islam, Christianity, etc.

I won’t do it again.

3. Hi, Josie!
    I want to start of by saying I really love your introduction, comparing your cat with the upcoming insights regarding the presence and absence of language. It reminds me a lot of how Chamberlin writes throughout his book, he gives a lot of examples and metaphors to introduce his points and arguments. Very enjoyable and it makes it easier to understand!

Your comments and observations about the school system in Uganda and similarly colonized societies just made me realize how alike every educational system treats the teachings of Math and science versus English and the arts. Even here in Western cultures there’s still that superior value that the Sciences emulates, and how they deem it more “practical” and “successful” than if students were to pursue a study in the arts. It’s surprising, really. It’s as if we are not so different than the countries that oppress the children into forcing them to focus more on Math and sciences rather than self-expression, whether it’s simply practicing their own form of culture or speaking their native language.

The effects of the colonizers on the children, stripping away their roots to learn the Western way, reminded me of the same way residential schools treat their Indigenous students. In fact, that’s what they exactly stand for. http://indigenousfoundations.arts.ubc.ca/home/government-policy/the-residential-school-system.html
    “The term residential schools refers to an extensive school system set up by the Canadian government and administered by churches that had the nominal objective of educating Aboriginal children but also the more damaging and equally explicit objectives of indoctrinating them into Euro-Canadian and Christian ways of living and assimilating them into mainstream Canadian society.”

It’s more than terrifying that this was once the “solution” the government found for the Indigenous people, moreso since it’s designed for children. Not only do they forcedly take them away from their families, but they isolate them in the school, forcing them to learn and practice a whole different culture while stripping away their native identities. Basically everything you wrote down.

It’s disheartening to belong in a culture that worked hard to demolish another’s upbringing, and I’m sure your travel to Uganda, having to witness it yourself, was a similar feeling.

Thanks for sharing your travel experiences!

All the best,
    Angela Olivares

4. Hey Jocie!

This blog entry was awesome. I can tell we would have a really interesting conversation if we were to speak about these issues in person.

I love how you comment on the bias of the English language. It’s so unbelievably limiting. I’m not sure if you’re a feminist or not, but I think you might appreciate this article about the masculinity of the English language:
    http://www.alternet.org/gender/10-words-every-girl-should-learn

Just like how our language is masculinized, it is also incredibly isolating for the native-american, or anybody that isn’t white, really.

I also really enjoy your point about the symbiotic relationship between words and language. I mentioned McLuhan when I commented on another student’s blog and I think it’s relevant here too: McLuhan argues that all language, letters, words (whatever) are all truly meaningless. That is, until we give them meaning. In other words, the letters A-Z really mean nothing until we start to spell our words, create sounds, and associate such words with objects (which then gives these words and letters meaning). Scholars have had the courage to call oral cultures “primitive” when, in reality, literate culture was the society that decided a bunch of random scribbles should have significant, symbolic meaning. Who’s crazier..?

Cheers!
    -Hailey