$130 for a $100 Meal

by Joey Tung

Throw aside the old 15-20%. The new norm in tipping is to give 25-30%.

Tipping after a meal is a common practice. But paying an extra 30% for a good meal and a good service seems a bit extravagant.

It is a known fact that servers get paid less than minimum wage here and so the tips that consumers leave make up for the difference. That being said, a $100 meal would now be $130.

But while tips have gone up, so have server’s expectations. While tips used to be a way to thank your server for their service, there have been instances where customers were prevented from leaving because they refused to leave a tip.

So when tips are an essential part of a server’s income, is it really a sign of gratitude from the customer or is it a way for restaurant owners to pay less and have the customers pay the rest?

“Tipping was also in the news when a Pizza Hut employee in Des Moines, Iowa, became so upset after a woman didn’t give him a tip that he allegedly pulled down his pants and urinated on her front door, a local TV station reported.”

I personally leave around 10-20% tips when I dine out, depending on the service. There has not been a time where I refused to give tips but for those who can barely afford the luxury of restaurant dining, do they really want to be forced to give a hefty 25-30% tip?

Sources:

Photo: