Cost of Your Degree

by Joey Tung

After reading Nick Rimmer’s blog post, I have a similar sentiment. For a long time now, I have always set a goal to go to post-secondary. It has never crossed my mind that I would not go. But it was not until a year or two ago that I started to worry whether universities would want me to attend their institution.

I was always made aware of the costs that come with post-secondary and my parents never pressured me to attend. But there seemed to be this underlying rule in life where no degree equals no job. If I did not continue my education, how would I get a job? Who would want to hire a high school graduate?

Just a few months into university, I have realized that not only is university a financial investment but a huge time commitment as well. Some people try to get a part-time job to help lessen the burden on families but with the amount of work that needs to be put in into school, finding time to have a job is difficult.

So going back to Nick’s blog, is a degree worth all the costs and time commitment? You see examples of successful people who climbed their way up without anything more than a high school certificate and it leaves you wondering if this is the better way to go.

Personally, I would still pursue a degree. It is always better to be safe than sorry.

Sources:

Photo: